GO!

My dog is acting out for no reason! Help!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trixi

Toothless Wonder

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:43pm PST 
My dog is 100 percent house trained and behavior trained but lately all of a sudden she has been acting out! Her behavior has included getting in the trash, burying her food, dumping the trash can, chewing furniture and my shoes, and chewing my computer cord. She hasn't acted out like this since we rescued her a year ago. She has been completely trained and a complete angel. I am shocked by her behavior but I have no clue what to do or why she is doing this. I am home most of the time so I know it's not due to her being home alone. She also gets adequate exercise and more attention than any dog I know. She is treated like a princess so why the change in behavior? Please help!

Edited by author Wed Sep 26, '12 2:44pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:26pm PST 
Well, she's not a puppy but many of those behaviors are typical of a bored dog that isn't getting enough exercise or mental stimulation. However, if these behaviors are totally sudden and out of the character for Trixi, it might be a good idea for her to get a vet checkup and some bloodwork done.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:21pm PST 
I agree on the checkup.

How did you stop getting her to do all those things after you brought her home?
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:06am PST 
I agree that a good check-up is in order and if it is nothing physical that is causing the issue,it may be that she is simply bored with the activities she has been doing and needs something new to keep her busy. I too am home all of the time and I have found that rotating toys helps keep them from becoming the same old thing.wishes
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 8:28am PST 
Agree with all the above answers. If it's a completely new, out of nowhere behavior, vet check.

If nothing's wrong, it could be boredom.

I'm also curious as to how to got her to stop the behavior in the first place.

EDIT;
Also, is she doing it when you're not home? Or when you're not in the room? When you've got your back turned? When you're staring right at her?

Edited by author Thu Sep 27, '12 8:29am PST

[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 8:37am PST 
There are always exceptions to that 100%, lol..

Sounds like shes bored. Has there been any change in her schedule? Get a new job / bf? Even little things like her walks being 15 minutes later than usual can trigger a change in behavior.

If it hadn't been a year, I'd guess and say that your honeymoon period is over.. But its kinda been long for that.
[notify]
Trixi

Toothless Wonder

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 7:36am PST 
I took her to the vet and she was perfectly fine. When we first brought her home and she acted this way I would pick her up and hold her and softly tell her that's a "no no," show her what she did and put her down. She would go over and look at what she did then walk back to me and put her paws on my legs and I would take her outside and tell her she's a good girl. She's very smart and learns very fast. We recently got a cat (she LOVES cats) the two had a ball together and her behavior went back to normal. She is currently curled up next to me on the couch sleeping away as I type this. We had to get rid of the cat yesterday (we took him to my moms where we initially got him) he's 3 years old and used to living outside in the country and didn't do very well indoors. Trixi is happy to have me all to herself again. Before we got Trixi she was abused and abandoned and my husband and I (and the vet) all think that due to this she will act out and see how much she can get away with from time to time to test us to see if we still love her and want her. The vet said that it could take years before Trixi finally accepts that she is in a permanent home where she wont be abused or neglected. This was very sad news to hear because I love Trixi and want her to feel accepted all the time. I've started taking her with me more often so she wont be alone at the house (she LOVES car rides) and we stop at my parents house in the country where she gets to run around for a few hours then we go home. I agree with what you all have posted about her being bored. She wanted a playmate but not a permanent one, so we take her to my parents more often now for her to play with their dogs and cat and she's loving it! big grinlaugh out loudbig grin
[notify]
Trixi

Toothless Wonder

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 7:58am PST 
She would do it whether our backs were turned or we were watching. My husband has had his job since before she started the behavior. I've been job searching for a month and I was thinking it could be due to her sensing that I may not be at home with her as much. But, it was just due to her wanting a playmate.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 9:51am PST 
So...you think your dog is acting out on some kind of psychic whim regarding your job search?

I don't mean to be rude, but this kind of blows my mind.
[notify]
Trixi

Toothless Wonder

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 11:05am PST 
Not exactly that but due to looking for a job i'm home less. I meant it in the way of with me leaving the house to look for a job.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2