GO!

Retraining Dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rosco P- Coltrane

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 5:29am PST 
How can I get my dog to poop in the new back yard at home. He will pee out there, but still wants to get walked to poop. He hasn't pooped out there since we put the fence in. Any ideas??
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 6:36am PST 
You can try taking him out on the leash and walking him around the backyard until he goes. That is what I had to do with my dog when we moved from the home she had spent nearly 9 years in to our current home,she refused to go here for nearly a week and a half and would hold it until we went back to the old house to pick-up more of our things then would only go in her favorite spot there. After we quit going to the other house she held out for several days before she finally realized we were not taking her back to the other house just to poop.wishes
[notify]
Rosco P- Coltrane

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 8:23am PST 
thank you for your input. I have tried doing that several times. It's not that I don't want to walk him...I just dont want to walk him 5 times a day. Thats why we installed a fence. I have brought other dogs back there in the yard. I have bagged and brought his poop to the backyard and put it there. He still just doesnt get it. Still asks to be walked at the front door. He's having a hard time changing his thinking. Would it be okay to not walk him around the neighborhood...until he poops out back?? He won't go in the house, but how many days should I hold out till he decides to poop out back?
[notify]

Rosco P- Coltrane

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 5:31am PST 
we are still trying to get Rosco to potty/poop in his backyard. still he prefers to get walked or go out front to poop. we still take him on 1 walk daily... vs. the 5 or 6 he was used to going on before we had a fenced yard for him. he will hold his poop if we skip his daily walk, rather than poop in his yard we fenced in for him. He still goes to the front door, asking to go out instead of the slider window/backdoor to the yard. He has asked to go out back as well, but only pees. When Rosco comes in from his yard break I give him a treat and praise him. I'm thinking that because he will eventually figure it out. It just isn't going to happen overnight. Behavior change is a process and it will take some time. Winters coming and I hope he can master pooping in his yard before it gets here(=
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:26am PST 
We stuck to walking Mattie just in the backyard rather than around the neighborhood and it took about 3 weeks before she was really comfortable with the new back yard.She did pick a favorite place in our new back yard as well,so yes it is okay to skip his walk and I really wouldn't wait beyond 3 days before allowing him to go elsewhere. He just needs time to adjust to the fact that he is someplace new and needs to change his bathroom habits. Good Luck.
[notify]
Cyril

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 10:48am PST 
Take the poo back with you and put it were you want him to poo, 2 or 3 would be better, he should start pooing there then.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:33am PST 
I like Cyril's idea.

You can click/treat success and give it a name ('do it'; 'poop'; something) wink

For us, 'do it' applies to pee or poop... it works pretty well... usually in training or competition settings where the dog 'exercise' area might be a odd surface or configuration.
[notify]