GO!

I have a new family member...but he isn't canine >.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 12:28pm PST 
He's a cutie and handsome. As everyone here has stated, just make sure you introduce Ringo to his litter box and make sure he's got private access to it and he'll catch on super quick.

I need to get Moose a kitty. I so miss having one and I think Moose would enjoy the company. Last night he tried so hard to make friends with the neighbors cat, but the cat decided against it.

kitty
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 4:20pm PST 
Diarrhea is still persistent >.>.

I'm switching to dry food for a couple meals to see if that helps bulk anything up. I don't mind cleaning up messes but multiple times a day it is getting old, heh. And with the prolapse it hurts when I have to dab his behind with something to clean him up. Sometimes he cleans himself up after he goes, which is nice =/. Then I can actually tell how well he's healing back there. It's looking better but there is still a ways to go. From what I have read online this is not uncommon in kittens with digestive problems, especially parasites (he was dewormed at the vets, not sure how many days it will take for him to shed the parasites), and will normally take care of itself once the digestive system is back in order.

Upper respiratory infection seems to be mostly if not entirely gone, so that's good. Right now there is a lot of eating sleeping and pooping.

Pretty much like Samson when he was that age, heh.

He's already put on some healthy weight I can tell, and I don't just mean his gut (he eats a LOT).

Tomorrow morning (I work third shift, so I'm awake at night) I think I am going to try keeping him in the upstairs bathroom with an open can of food (and some dry sprinkled in) and then just deal with the clean-up when I wake up. I did not sleep well this morning >.

Edited by author Sat Jul 21, '12 4:23pm PST

[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 7:36pm PST 
This product really does work. Our little guy is 100% litter trained now.

Kitten Attract

You can buy it at PetSmart or a lot of online dealers have it, too.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:28am PST 
Be sure where ever you put the litter box Samson can't get into it dogs seem to like to eat their poop..

eek

Hope the kitty does well.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 10:37am PST 
You are being so good and patient with Ringo. One of my little puppies that I am fostering (5 weeks old next Tuesday) has a really swollen rear end too, but no prolapse. I think it's from diarrhea due to a combination of worms and the antibiotics he is on for a URI. The poor little guy can't catch a break. I am waiting for the vet to call me back with the dosage for deworming the puppies.

Hope Ringo is feeling better soon!
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 11:22am PST 
Prolapse is better today, I think what I'm seeing is mostly swelling. He's really raw back there, not sure what to do other than just wait for the diarrhea to end and for it to heal. I know it hurts him when I have to clean up but I can hardly let him track poo all over my room. He spends a lot of time sleeping, a little bit eating, and he even spent some time playing today which was nice to see. He's still gaining weight slowly.

I decided to stop the antibiotics. He hasn't been sneezing at all and I'm sure it isn't helping the digestive issues any. I'm hoping that will mostly resolve the problem. But, who knows.

The bathroom was a disgusting mess this morning. The things we do for our animals...

Samson & Ringo are getting along much better now. Samson is still doing the nose shoves every now and then, but is spending more time laying down next to him on the bed, just watching and sniffing him which is good.

Edited by author Sun Jul 22, '12 11:23am PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 1:16pm PST 
Wanted to pop back in and give you the advice my vet just called me with for my little one. He said you can put petroleum jelly on their rear to help with the irritation. I haven't tried it yet, since I don't have this in my house- have to go out and buy it tonight.

Also- I don't know about in cats but my puppies were dewormed two weeks ago tomorrow, and yesterday one passed a 4" long roundworm... Either that one didn't die the first time around, or they grow really quickly. Part of my problem was that no one recommended that I deworm the mother dog at the same time as the puppies, and I didn't think to do it (my first litter here), so they were just passing worms back and forth. I dewormed mom earlier this week and did the pups today, so hopefully everyone is clean now! Lucky for you you won't have this problem- just don't let Samson eat any Kitty Crunchies!
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 2:26pm PST 
I wonder if it would be a little soon to do the dry food given the state of his digestive system. Cats actually prefer the wet food when they're sick because they digest it better. Therefore, if I were you, I'd hold off on the dry food till he gets a bit bigger and the digestive system fixes itself.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 2:52pm PST 
I'm only giving him a very tiny bit, like maybe 15% dry to 85% wet, at most. I was hoping the grains would bulk up his poo a bit so he wouldn't have constant liquid diarrhea. He did have a semi-solid poo today, rather than pure liquid which is pretty much what everything else has been.

I'll see if I can't find any petroleum jelly. It's very very raw and very sore so anything should help.

~

Samson has sniffed the litterbox but luckily doesn't seem interested in eating anything out of it.

No sneezes yet at all, other than from dust from the kitty litter. It may be 99.4% dust-free or whatever, but there's still dust there when he's digging around.

The more time Samson spends with the kitty the more I think he appears to like him. So that's good.

I haven't seen any worms in his poo but then again it's mostly liquid and I'm not exactly examining it very closely. I just cover up what the cat doesn't when he's done in the litterbox.

Edited by author Sun Jul 22, '12 2:57pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 3:28pm PST 
Congrats on the new family member! kitty

Adding a small amount of canned pumpkin or slippery elm bark can help with the diarrhea.

If you are using a fine substrate litter, do make sure that bits of it aren't getting stuck to his poor sore bottom. I've had that issue with sick kittens before and it made everything worse.

Keep in mind that different cats prefer different types of litter...nowadays there is all sorts of litters...corn, wheat, pine (pellets and finer stuff), silica, newspaper pellets (nasty stuff IME), and the usual clay. (We use a mixture of wheat and pine.)

It might be worth your while to give him a choice of a couple of different substrates to see if he has a definite preference...you can also try plain old dirt from outside to see if he prefers that (could be that this is all he's ever known). If he uses that reliably, you can gradually introduce another type of litter and wean him off the dirt litter.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4