GO!

Anyone know about painting numbers on hunting dogs for trials?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 8:44pm PST 
Okay, Rescue Ink. on facebook has an alarmist story, claiming this hound, found by AC in east Tennessee, who has the number 500 on both sides of her, was freeze branded by sickos who were going to shoot her for sport. As in, you get 500 points for this one.

http://www.examiner.com/article/dog-found-tennessee-may-be-p art-of-cruel-hunting-game?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150713084297857_215212 33_10150713671662857#f2ba91fccaa6412

Something just didn't add up. One, having been around horses, I know what a freeze brand looks like and that isn't one. Then, a few people familiar with foxhound trials said they paint numbers on them for trials. And lo and behold I found pics of dogs with numbers. Now this dog doesn't look like she's painted, but perhaps the hair is bleached, or became that way because the paint was left on too long when she got lost. Or, perhaps as someone else suggested, the hair was even shaved . . . .

So I'm wondering is this just a complete put on by Rescue Ink to foster alarm and donations? Or are they being naive? I know better than to trust the News Examiner . . . .

Anybody seen the story? I'm just scratching my head . ..shrug
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 9:38pm PST 
I saw that also, Gussie..& wondered the same thing. I also read a few comments that said it was common to paint an id of some sort on hunting hounds..& that bleach might indicate this one was a valuable "keeper." I wonder what folks here can tell us. shrugsmile
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 9:54pm PST 
I saw that photo, too - I think the dog was shaved. I'm not sure what to think... I'm not sure Rescue Ink would orchestrate something that would be fairly easy to disprove, but I suppose they might have fallen for a hoax... shrug
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 10:39pm PST 
I suspect they didn't manufacture it per se, but they fell either for someone's joke or the over active wild speculation of someone who didn't know anything about hunting dogs. Not that I knew about the number painting either, but as soon as some hunters mentioned it, it was super easy to google photo examples all over the place.

I guess I made such a pest of myself in comments on the News Examiner (strictly with facts about branding and numbering, mind you) that one of the editors updated their story to say "real or hoax" . . . .laugh out loud

I do so love science and facts when I can get them. I'm enough of a sap about dogs--this poor girl might have just gone off on the wrong scent trail got separated, and probably wants to go home . . . meanwhile half the reactionary posters want to see someone "branded" . . .shock
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 11:43pm PST 
Looks like paint bleach.. common enough. I'm From NC and have friends who do a lot of hunting in TN. I'll do a little asking around, She looks young and may have spooked and I'm fairly sure someone would be looking for her.

No it looks Nothing like freeze brands, even with the hair grown back (which wouldn't grow back tan anyway). I Know what freeze brands look like personally since we brand our stock.. and I've seen more than enough hunting hounds.. Some people have the sense of fleas.. sad part is the owner of the dog likely would be concerned at coming forward a this point since they're seeking to prosecute for 'abuse'

I only barely glanced at the comments before being disgusted because so many people believe this rather than actually taking to seconds to think. As for vets and their honestly level there was a report around here not long ago of a vet that got in two blue tick hounds that he had found and when scanned for microchips actually decided to say that the dogs had no microchips... the dogs came in with collars with bolted name plates and when he listed them on the website he actually Changed the names of the dogs. .. there is a bit of a bias with some vets and a number of rescues against hunting dogs of any type so this none sense doesn't really surprise me.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 6:53am PST 
It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad that Rescue Ink is pandering and stirring people up . . . .

I found this link--a supplier with everything you need to paint, dye or bleach competition numbers on your dog.

http://www.custom-collars.com/current/Field%20Trial%20Suppli es.html

And ran across a blog where a woman was trying to locate the owner of a stray with numbers. Fortunately she was in Virginia hunt country and knew it belonged to someone and eventually the dog, Mayday (cute name) was reunited with her owner . .
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 6:59am PST 
The only thing that makes me wonder is a rescue supposedly asked Rescue Ink to look into this and it also says 2 vets have said this is freeze branding, if it weren't for the statement about 2 vets I would really wonder, heck I am wondering now anyhoo. shrug I don't know why Rescue Ink would post this and offer a $2000 reward if they didn't have more info than they are saying.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 7:30am PST 
That's not what freeze branding looks like at all. Amateurs (The people who claim a vet said it). Just google search "freeze brand" and you'll see why it's a stupid claim.

And also what a ridiculous premise. That's an absurd urban legend I'd bet.

Edited by author Wed Apr 25, '12 7:34am PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 8:27am PST 
Agreed Zephyr . .. . I even posted a link to their comments showing exactly how freeze branding is done, what it looks like immediately after and 3 months later which is how long it takes the fur to grow back---it grows back snowy white because the pigmentation is gone when hair grows back in deeply scarred tissue . . . .

Not at all what this dog looks like . . . . and if you buy into their premise . . . really, some sick person hunting dogs is going to patiently wait for scar tissue to heal and fur to grow back to a point where you could even read it? Just seriously doesn't add up . . ..

Esp. when there is so much info about how dogs are numbered with bleach or paint for competition in trials . . . . SO, if one were to find a stray like this, one's first conclusion should be, "looks like another hunting dog lost her pack . . ." NOT, "OMG, someone is marking dogs with points in a cruel dog killing game . . .." Possible, but maybe the most likely story in this case makes the most sense . . .

To me the worst part is RI saying two vets "verified" this is freeze branding--it just simply IS NOT . .. . either these two vets are city, small animal practice completely unfamiliar with branding or someone is purposely being deceptive. Or maybe the 2 weren't Doctors of Veterinary Medicine, but some of their military veteran buddies . . . .laugh out loud

Here's the link how freeze branding is done, what it looks like
http://www.cowboyway.com/What/FreezeBranding2.htm
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 9:26am PST 
Wow....Gus you deserve a GOLD STAR for your patience and perseverance!

I think what bugs me....and this DOES bug me...is that firstly you have some dog who essentially had a home and an owner who thought enough of her to want to reclaim her in some way, but now can't or won't. And when you deal with 90% euth rates, intertwined in there some ridiculously adoptable dogs, that is such a tragedy. For now a dog who had an owner, a home, gets adopted and those who have no such things, no chance, are in the same screwed to high hell position they were in the first place.

Secondly, I guess I will give RI the benefit of the doubt and say they are just crazy naive. But it still leaves a bad taste, for all this rescue outcry of horrid abuse and offering a "reward" amps donations like crazy. Best Friends I know took a lot of backlash for taking in some Vick dogs, for everyone pretty much knew it was for the dollars. Whoever took those Vick dogs was going to cash in. Anyone in rescue knows this. Some dogs are cash cows. Now there is an understandable practicality to that, but I think all told for that concerned citizens need to have a scrutinizing eye. A fairly small group of people actually went into the trenches and fought the good fight for the Vick dogs, who initially were under intense peril to be euth'd. All to follow....cha ching confused If I were donating, I'd be far more keen to fund those who were in on things before there was a spotlight or sexy reason. There can be predatory behavior in rescue....using a dog to amp donations. Now I suppose that's still for the greater good, but it still is a reason for pause as to who elicits your emotions. I think an ultimate example of that was Patrick....there is no one who didn't want that dog in the worst way, to the point where it ended up in court, if memory serves. He was one hot commodity.

So as regards "I don't know why Rescue Ink would post this and offer a $2000 reward if they didn't have more info than they are saying." That's the reason. That may not be fair to say...perhaps they are being naive. But I know first hand of many cases, when you get a high profile dog, everyone wants in, for the dough. Or, you can create your story line and go that way.

We (Southpaws) rescued a Boxer puppy who was half dead with a severe case of mange. His pics were just horrifying and heartbreaking. Duncan, the rescue's founder, was a little concerned about pulling him, the shelter thought we were NUTS! Odds were not in his favor, and even if it panned out, he would be a very expensive dog for the rescue...a very risky proposition all the way around. I told told her not to worry....that we'd be able to get funding to help Sydney, and that it would be worthwhile in the long run for he would be a "poster dog"....that individual who would encourage adoptions within the moment and long into the future. Which has very much been the case. When his mange rebroke this year and his adoptive owners were going through a very rough time financially, they asked for help. We petitioned the "fans of Sydney," and a very special Dogster did cover his expenses. But I was very sure that the donation went DIRECTLY to the vet's office, so that there was no question that this was not some sympathy run to drum up extra dollars. I am pretty sensitized to that, as I see it happen way too often. I want to see a rescue get the financial assistance they need when they really are the ones out there making that larger difference, truly touching the lives of dogs other rescues won't touch. Not the ones who show up after the battle and try to cash in, or worse still those who foster emotional mountains out of innocuous mole hills and more or less prey upon the emotions of others to rake in the dough. Even if the dough is for a noble reason, those out there really trying, outside of the limelight and the "hook," are those most deserving of that sort of support.

Edited by author Wed Apr 25, '12 9:43am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7