GO!

new dog training show to air on CBS

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:26pm PST 
CBS Orders 'Dogs in the City' Reality Series From 'CSI's' Carol Mendelsohn
The unscripted offering will feature New York dog trainer Justin Silver and premiere in May.

I know, another one. Sooooo..... anyone know anything about this guy? His website doesn't specify what methods he uses thinking
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:50pm PST 
I don't think the method he uses matters. They'll be a group up calling him names in roughly a month.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:50pm PST 
I wonder if his website is brand new, set up just for the launch of the show. It seems kind of incomplete- more like a a graphic designer made it than a dog trainer. A little too fancy for my taste- it takes too long to load.

I am guessing he is a traditional dominance-type trainer, since in one of the testimonials I see a prong collar in a photo (though that could be the owner's choice, not the trainer's) and many other testimonials use words like "energy" "control" "discipline" etc. While I think that R+ training also needs these things to be successful, they tend to phrase it differently and use different buzzwords.

No idea who taught him, if he has any certifications, or is a member of any professional societies though. The website seems intentionally designed to obscure what he actually does, another reason I think it looks like it was cooked up to feed interest in the upcoming show.

He could be a really great trainer of course. I'm just a media skeptic. wink
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 9:05pm PST 
To my knowledge, he's a comedian.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:31am PST 
You know what show I miss?

That one with Zak George, where he taught the dogs all those kooky tricks.

Does that even still air?

Why can't we have more of THAT, rather than all of these "DIY dog behaviorist" shows...
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:38am PST 
"He could be a really great trainer of course. I'm just a media skeptic."

If a person isn't a media skeptic in this day and age, they're brain dead. big grin

At least there'll be another trainer to bat around here besides Milan and Stillwell. Maybe he's decent, maybe the camera loves him and dogs are indifferent. Website does look like it's pre-show launch material.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:50am PST 
Super Fetch!! I LOVED Super Fetch! It was such a fun show to watch.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:11am PST 
Justin is a comedian. He adopted a couple of pitbulls a few years ago. He doesn't have a behavior background and certainly not over a decade of it - like the press release says. No one in NYC knows him for training. They know him as a voice over actor and comedian who raises money for pitbulls. Saw a video. Looks like he trying to be Cesar, but knows even less.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:13am PST 
Justin is a comedian. He adopted a couple of pitbulls a few years ago. He doesn't have a behavior background and certainly not over a decade of it - like the press release says. No one in NYC knows him for training. They know him as a voice over actor and comedian who raises money for pitbulls. Saw a video. Looks like he trying to be Cesar, but knows even less.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:19am PST 
I thought it was a bit odd that I couldn't find *anything* about this guy.

I miss Super Fetch as well... along with a whole list of other shows frown
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3