GO!

Anybody else's dog not look them in the eye?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 5:00pm PST 
Ok, I may be comparing extremes here, but Sanka rarely ever looks me in the eye. If he does intentionally do it, it's only for a split second. I don't have stare downs with my dogs or anything, it's just Sanka seems to go to great lengths to avoid looking me in the eye.

I know it's partly normal to not constantly look in another's eyes, but Sanka, with every person he's ever met, never looks them in the eyes.

Compare that to my other dog, Kato, who will always win a staring contest. Gets quite creepy at times.laugh out loud

Anyway, just curious if anybody else's dog is like Sanka. Sanka is not a fearful dog by any stretch. He's very independent minded. Hard to believe he thinks I'm "alpha" if that's what floats yer boat given he does what he wants when he wants to.laugh out loud
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 5:18pm PST 
Many dogs do not look their owners in the eyes. They see it as a perceived threat as dogs never look other dogs or other animals straight on. He probably just feels uncomfortable doing it so he doesn't do it.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 5:23pm PST 
I also get the staring contest from Okami ALL the time XD
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 6:00pm PST 
Lenny makes eye contact with me quite frequently, but I've been rewarding that for over a year now quite heavily... so I guess it's reasonable to say that's why he does it now. Before he wouldn't offer eye contact. On the other side of the coin... he acts like he doesn't have eyes most days since he relies so heavily on his nose. laugh out loud I think it's a bunch of factors such as breed, training, and just the dog's personality... and even then it's just not how dog's show affection.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 6:11pm PST 
Same here, Lenny. I have rewarded and encouraged eye contact and focus with Farley for a few years, so now he makes frequent, prolonged eye contact in many situations. As for strangers, they're lucky if Farley notices they're there at all let alone make eye contact with them. laugh out loud
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 8:07pm PST 
Paris is a major head turner, but she's pretty timid by nature. Just about anything could bring on an avalanche of appeasement gestures from her.

Nicky on the other hand will get right up in my face and will stare at me practically nose to nose. He usually does this when I'm on the couch watching tv and he wants attention. If he's blocking my entire peripheral vision he leaves me no choice BUT to give him attention!
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 8:37pm PST 
With Twist it depends on what's going on. If we are playing around or I'm just petting or grooming him he will look me in the eye. If he is begging for food he stands there staring, but if I look straight at him he turns his head. If he is wanting lovin's and we are being mean owners and watching tv or something, he will come up, put his head down on the couch or on our laps, and stare at us out of the corners of his eyes until we look at him. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 2:46am PST 
Jackson never looks strangers in the eyes but usually is fine looking at me, particularly when he's sitting waiting for a treat... but I guess most dogs are attentive when they know a reward is coming.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 3:29am PST 
Smiling is also a no-no. Dogs mistake bared teeth when smiling as a form of aggression.
[notify]
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 7:01am PST 
Had the opposite problem with Kado. All she wanted to do was stare at you, giving you the old stink-eye. We taught her that people were not supposed to be looked at as if they were sheep! big laugh
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3