GO!

Help Me!!! Please!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Skoshi

Skoshi, the- Princess

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 6:04pm PST 
Help Me! My dog is anti-social, and has lost her social skills. When she see's another dog, she just wants to attack it. I have been watching the Dog Whisperer, but it really isn't working. She goes after dogs that are 10 times bigger than her, and even little ones too. I'm worried that she, or another dog could get hurt. We have spoiled her to the point, that she thinks that she is a human. Could someone please give me advice on teaching my dog how to be social again? Thank You,
-Ashley and Skoshi
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat May 21, '05 8:02pm PST 
As far as I know, socialization with other doggies needs to occur at a very young age. Once a dog misses out on that window of time, the dog may never socialize well with other dogs.

We poodles also have tendencies to be very clingy with our humans. Sometimes, we end up believing that we are humans, and we look down at other doggies. Could this have happened to you?
[notify]
Sara

Got Bread?

Barked: Mon May 23, '05 12:02am PST 
Hi there,

Here's an article I found for you:

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/Pet_tips/dogsocial3.cfm

Good luck!
[notify]

Luke- Skywalker

Luke---a.k.a.- Lou

Barked: Mon May 23, '05 4:50pm PST 
My peek-a-poo acts like a total freak around other dogs, too. He acts like he could kill them! But.....he was introduced to his "sister" when he was 7 weeks old and loves her to the point of obsession. Also, when I got a beagle puppy, Luke became her mother. He mothers the cats, too. It's only dogs outside the family that he hates. Well....except for Danny, our 120 lb. lab. Luke goes crazy with growls and barks even if I whisper Danny's name. Maybe it IS the poodle part. It's very embarassing, though. I am glad he's small enough for me to hold so I can tell him to "shhh" and so forth around strange animals. He really causes a huge fuss!
[notify]
Luke- Skywalker

Luke---a.k.a.- Lou

Barked: Mon May 23, '05 4:55pm PST 
Speaking of being obsessed with his friend, Buffy, Luke is obsessed with other things, too. Like his 20+ stuffed animals and us. It's as if everything has to be extreme. Either TOTAL love or TOTAL hate. I think poodles may be a bit like that. I know a poodle who is obsessed with her tennis ball. I mean she's REALLY addicted and has to be put on "ball restriction" sometimes. Maybe your dog is being very protective of you.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sat May 28, '05 9:46pm PST 
I would recommend seeing a animal behaviorist in your area that specialized in behavior problems. I know where I live, the most highly recommended trainer for that type of problem actually trains police dogs, and I've talked to several people that say he's worked wonders for their dog agressive pets.

Snowy is right, though. There is a small window of opportunity b/t approx. 8-12 weeks (some say 16) that dogs have to be properly socialized in order to know how to act around other dogs. Once that window has passed, they may never get along with other dogs, as they will not know how to act and may misinterpret a dog coming to greet them as aggressive and act accordingly.

Since yours is a small dog I have one other point to bring up. I'm not saying you're guilty of this, but I've seen many who are. If you are constantly swooping in to "save" your dog from other dogs, even though they don't pose any threat other than to say hello, then your dog may interpret that as "I'm not supposed to greet other dogs or have anything to do with them" and may turn aggressive because of that.

I hope you can work thru this problem as it seem to stress not only you, but your dog as well.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sun May 29, '05 6:59am PST 
Jasmine has this same problem too. I started a thread about it in this section. It's like she's not sure what to expect or how to act. Very weird. About the window of time thing... We adopted Jasmine at the humane society (she was about 3 months old) and one thing we liked about her was that she acted awesome around the other dogs. Not a single ruff out of her, even when the other dogs were barking. We thought she would have no problems getting along with Max or Socks, which she didn't. I think her behavior has started to go downhill because we didn't keep up with that socialization, but should it be relatively easy to socialize her again because she had that kind of socialization as a pup?

Anyway, I understand what you're going through. It's not very fun, is it?
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sun May 29, '05 9:48am PST 
Actually Jasmine, your problem and Skoshi's problem are a little bit different. Jasmine sounds like she is either fearful of strange dogs or doesn't know how to act around them as she runs and hides and barks at them. Fear can be worked on to become more confident. Skoshi's problem sounds more like an aggression issue, since she wants to attack other dogs, which is a little more difficult to work with. Either way, it has to be taken slow and with baby steps.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sun May 29, '05 3:08pm PST 
She initially lunges, barks, and growls when she sees another dog. However, if the dog comes too close, she gets fearful and tries to back off, but still barks. She's really awesome around people, she could care less if they walk by w/o a dog on a walk. If they tried to pet her she will become very shy and back away again, but there's no non-stop barking at people. I find it all very confusing and can't quite pinpoint exactly what her problem is. I agree with what you said, Keiko, she definitly is unsure of how to act, but I do think a bit of aggresion is involved. Pretty sure...
Sterling

Yes, I am the- Center of the- Universe

Barked: Sun May 29, '05 11:58pm PST 
I really don't feel qualified to make reccomendations for either of you, because I'm not a trainer, but I do feel that these are issues that can be worked through.

Keiko is right, it will take baby steps and time, but it can be done! Sterling is not a rescue dog and has never been abused by a human or seriously hurt by another dog, but when he was about 5 months old, he suddenly decided that all male, neutered (only neutered) pit bulls must die. Which was a frightening aggression problem. But we got through it, and he's totally aggression free, thanks to the help of a wonderful animal behaviorist.

It turned out not to be an aggression issue so much as a fear one, as might be the case with your dogs. For Sterling, he was cautious of all neutered males as they didn't "smell right" to him. AND pit bulls scared him a bit, so by figuring out that combination and working with us extensively, Sterling's "shrink" helped him to be a totally confident, well-socialized dog with good social skills, and helped me to be less jumpy when Sterling was approached by a neutered male pit bull.

And I was DEFINETLY at least, if not more, half of the problem. I got tense, so Sterling got protective and lashed out. Might that be a problem for you guys too? Your dogs really do read your body language and react to it more than you know.

Anyway, a behaviorist is the way to go, and good luck!
[notify]