GO!

"Chucking" a dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 10:50am PST 
What is "chucking" a dog? I am assuming it does not mean throwing...

A friend of mine was advised to "chuck" her dog for misbehaving... The advice was followed by a sermon on how dogs want to be the alpha and life with dogs is a constant power struggle.
[notify]
Ellie

Qui me amat,- amet et canem- meum

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:12am PST 
If I say I am going to chuck something I might mean throw out or get rid of. That seems extreme for a misbehaving dog to me but the way it was followed by sayIng life with a dog is a power struggle maybe thus what they meant thinking
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:18am PST 
Ok a friend of mine found out what it is. Apparently you "chuck" a dog under the chin. Kind of like how sometimes guys punch their friends in the arm.

I guess it's a nice way of saying "hitting" your dog...naughty
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:32am PST 
That's not technically what it means. It's supposed to be a tap under the chin though I've never heard it in reference to a dog.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:47am PST 
A "chuck under the chin" used to be a kind of demonstration of affection (usually from a man to women and children)... I have no idea what they're referring to as regards to dogs shrug
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 12:09pm PST 
I got the info from a book by Steven Applebaum, president of the Animal Behavior College. I found a book of his online that said "chucking" is basically a polite way of saying slapping.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:12pm PST 
I think the Monks of New Skete used to recommend the chin chuck thing as a disciplinary measure. Never read it myself though, might not be in the new edition (like "alpha rolling"- they don't recommend it anymore.)
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:20pm PST 
"These methods involve touching the dog in some, often forceful, way. The Monks of New Skete (their books are highly recommended) talk about chucking a biting dog under the chin with 2-3 fingers (never a fist, always an open hand). This simulates an Alpha dog (that's you) nipping a misbehaving dog under the chin, as occurs in a pack."

Ten points for Bruno. The 'Monks of New Skete' it is. It's interpretable I guess and while I don't use their overall alpha method I think there's a difference between slapping a dog and "chucking" under the chin which I think should be a tap given what I've seen of their methods. I think they have toned down the public approach because it's been so misused and incorrectly used. I would avoid all advice from that person from now on.

Frankly I don't give a biter a chance to bite my fingers if I can avoid it so that's not my method of choice. If I'm going to touch a biter at all my hand is always in a fist since they're much less likely to bite and will do a heck of a lot less damage if they do. Easier to redirect a dog (who is biting for fun and amusement rather than seriously) than correct usually.

Edited by author Sun Dec 4, '11 11:26pm PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 6:58am PST 
I've read the term in some really old breed books. I'm not sure where it originated, but from what I gather, it's like a small slap to the side of the bottom part of the jaw. That's why they say 'chuck the chin'. It wasn't pictured, so I can't be sure, ofcourse. I wouldn't advocate for its use as a punishment, either.

It can be roughly affectionate, I've seen it used in rough play between some old breeder/trainers and hunting dogs. Sort of like how some dogs love having their beards tugged in play.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 8:10am PST 
"It can be roughly affectionate, I've seen it used in rough play between some old breeder/trainers and hunting dogs."

Never heard it labeled but I see the above all the time. Do it myself on occasion.

Has nothing to do with discipline in the context I know it, is merely done to amp up drive in work and play.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2