GO!

A harness that they can't slip out of?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Copper and- Bailey

Living life- our way!!

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 5:33pm PST 
For those who followed our other thread, Copper and Bailey are doing wonderfully with their training. Copper has not even snapped over food in over a month big grin They are actually listening to me... which I found out was their biggest problem.

Anyway... on to my question. What is a good harness that they won't be able to back out of? I've tried puppia type harnesses and the easy wrap harness... both they can back out of when they get frightened. We went stayed at a cabin that had a flight of stairs leading to the main door and they would back up and out of their harness... same at the vet when Bailey decided she didn't want to go with the groomer. I've been using a collar pair with a harness lately so that I'd have more control and I'll continue until I find something better. Has anyone had any experience with this? What would be a good option? I've seen the no pull harness but don't know how well they work. I'm working on these issues but really need a good harness as we are going on vacation next month.
[notify]
Clementine

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 3:52am PST 
Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness. If fitted properly, it's doubtful that a dog can easily back out of it. Very easy to put on after proper fitting & 1st few times of use.
[notify]
Clementine

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 3:53am PST 
Oops - double post

Edited by author Sun Jun 5, '11 3:54am PST

[notify]

Zoe

I just want to- relax

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:55am PST 
My dog is the same way...she can back out of almost all harnesses and buckle collars (fitted properly). I now use a martingale collar, it can be worn at a comfortable size but when I need it to prevent her from backing out it does the job.

Like the other poster suggested a head collar could work...but it can take a very long time to get a dog adjusted to using it...and sometimes they never do.
[notify]
Clementine

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 7:16am PST 
The Gentle Leader Easy Walk is a harness, not head halter. Martingales work great, if the collar is adjusted properly and the dog can otherwise wear a regular (neck) collar when walking. Due to many reasons, including neck & spine issues, harnesses are the better choice for some dogs. The OP has some good choices out there.

Edited by author Sun Jun 5, '11 7:23am PST

[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 7:20am PST 
Freedom No Pull Harness. A dog shouldn't slip out of any harness properly fitted.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 4:36pm PST 
IME many of the front attach harnesses, a determined or very scared dog may be able to get out.
Here is one no-pull harness that is supposed to be good for dogs who spook or try to back out of harnesses:
http://www.greyrescue.org/fun_stuff/wiggles_wags_and_whi skers.shtml
http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/newsite/no-pull-harn ess.htm

If you have a real harness escape artist, you could try one of the types with an extra strap on the stomach, such as the Ruffwear Web Master Harness which I've heard is good for escaping/spooky dogs, or one of these others-

Spook harness:
http://majesticcollars.com/harness.htm

2- and 3- strap harnesses:
www.tugnhug.com
[notify]
Copper and- Bailey

Living life- our way!!

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 6:32pm PST 
I've thought about a martingale, but they tend to choke if they pull just a wee bit. I'll look at those links you provided.
[notify]
Lucky, NTD

Novice trick- dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 11:43am PST 
I second the Freedom No Pull Harness. way to go
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 10:20am PST 
The Tug N hug comes in all sizes, so it's a great choice. The greyhound harnesses don't come small enough for OP 2 dogs.

The Freedom harness is okay, it has a martingale style loop at the shoulders which tightens if the dog pulls so he/she can't back out.

**NOTE on all harnesses...collars too.
Once the harness is adjusted to fit the dog firmly, without shifting. Take a needle and thread and tack the straps so they won't loosen. The soft webbing feels nice, but it slips with stress and time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2