GO!

Aggressive Breed = German Shepherd? What?!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tannah

If it runs, I'll- chase it.

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 8:53am PST 
I'm relocating to another city and am searching for an apartment to rent. It's a bit tough to find an apartment that takes large dogs like Tannah, but I've found a few. When you find a place that DOES take large dogs, then you get into breed restrictions. Since when did a German Shepherd make it's way onto breed restricted list? Obviously I knew about Pits, Rotts, Dobermans and Chows. But the German Shepherd one threw me. My problem is that Tannah DOES resemble the dark snout of a German Shepherd. I don't think she has a strong GS lineage in her DNA, but I don't want my future landlord to judge her on that. I think she's a Rhodesian Ridgeback - which also has a dark snout like a GS. Either way, I was just taken aback that this amazing, intelligent and social breed was put on this restrictions list.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 9:50am PST 
I think with the floppy ears you could bypass the shepherd mix if you needed to, even if she is a shepherd mix.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 9:54am PST 
Actually, German Shepherds are on a LOT of restricted breed lists (they are among the top 5 restricted breeds) - along with Huskys, Dalmations - lots of breeds you wouldn't necessarily think of. If there isn't any documentation (shelter or vet records) that state your dog is one of the restricted breeds, you *should* be okay.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 10:03am PST 
They've been on tons of banned breed lists for a long time now.
[notify]
Tannah

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 10:44am PST 
Her shelter papers do say Shepherd/Hound mix, but I've had her so long that those papers are pretty much null and void now. Her vet records say Lab mix or Ridgeback mix. But the landlord was adamant on knowing what she was mixed WITH. I told her she probably has a dozens breeds in her and short of doing a DNA test there's no way of knowing exactly. Aside from the dark snout she doesn't resemble a GS. And there are plenty of breeds with the dark snout. I think she'll be fine.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 10:46am PST 
GSD have been restricted for a long time.

I came from a city where pretty much anything that even LOOKED liked a breed on the restricted list, was restricted. So, for instance where I lived you had to be careful having a dog like a boxer/lab mix cause the boxer in him might look like a pittie mix to management and the dog would be evicted (but not the person-you had to stay and finish out your lease).
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 11:14am PST 
Tannah, I think you look more like a Black Mouth Cur than a German shepherd . . . but I don't know if that will sound better to a landlord! shocklaugh out loud

It'd be nice if people had some protection for their pets not being mis-identified (even DNA tests aren't conclusive proof) by people like landlords who don't know . . . much less being thrown out on looks rather than behavior!naughty
[notify]
Tannah

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 11:25am PST 
Augusta -

I've heard that before at the dog park. It definitely could be true. I really don't care why landlords make a big deal out of the breed. Tannah is incredibly docile and submissive. She's going through the process of becoming a therapy dog. I wish people wouldn't judge her - or any dog for that matter.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 11:30am PST 
Just a note: It might not be the landlord/property management company that instituted the restrictions - it might be (and probably is) their insurance company.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 11:30am PST 
Landlords make a big deal because in many places it can be difficult or impossible to get insurance on a place.

Where I used to live-insurance was already expensive, it was a hurricane and sink hole prone area (which makes it hard to get insured anyway). Add possibly being sued for allowing an "aggressive" dog in premises-and you are now uninsurable.

Owning your home is not a relief to these restrictions many times either. It can still make it difficult or impossible to find insurance/affordable insurance on your home.

So the problem is way above the landlord level.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3