GO!

How do people train dogs to "smile" or Show their teeth on command?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 1:08pm PST 
Hi, I have been watching movies and youtubes of dogs that show their teeth on command and i thought this was very interesting.How do dog owners and trainers teach dogs to show their teeth on command? I think this trick is very cool and interesting and i would like to teach my dog to do this.My grandpa had a rotweiler named Bear that would show his teeth on command.My grandpa would get in his face and say the command and the dog would bare its fangs,snarl,and druel until my grandpa praised him and then he would get excited and lick his face and get a treat.How do people train dogs to do this and how can i teach my dog to do it?

Thankyou
[notify]
Dasy

What's next

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 1:21pm PST 
Depends on the dog. A couple years ago there was a show on TV (Greatest american dog) on which one of the girls had to do a photo shoot with the theme of aggression. She was told by another contestant to use a "snarl band" which was basically a rubber band to get the dog to raise her lip. Clearly thats not a very nice way to go about this though.
Rio's mom and him are working on doing this and she has a clip of what they've done so far.
Other dogs like my girl will snarl when excited, She'll raise her lips and pull her brows down making a very evil looking face, I've been working on capturing it but she's slow at catching on to it. I think for most dogs, Rio's way would work best.
Rio's video
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 1:29pm PST 
I have dals and what they do is called the dalmatian grin. Harlow does it all the time so I just started giving her a cue whenever she did it. Now all I have to say is the cue and she grins at me! for a dog that is not prone to smiling, I'm really not sure how you would go about it.

ETA this is how a dal does it

dal grin

Edited by author Tue Feb 22, '11 1:31pm PST

[notify]

Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 1:55pm PST 
It kind of has to be something your dog already does or something you can get him to do so that you can put it on cue, like Harlow said.

I taught our old black lab to yawn on command- "open wide" was the trick- just by praising/treating everytime he would yawn and then I put the words with it.

Lia play bows alot so I did the same thing- praised/treated and said the word "bow" everytime she did it until she caught on and it turned into a trick.

My parent's pomeranian is really evil, he snarls at anyone or anything that gets too close to him, so I've kind of taught him to growl whenever someone "flips him off" aka "gives him the finger" by invading his personal space with a certain middle finger and then slowly increasing the distance. LOL I'm bad, I know. laugh out loud
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 1:56pm PST 
Chloe laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 4:16pm PST 
Okay, i have done some reading and i will be attempting to teach chewy to show his teeth on command and i will let you know how it goes.I have started by saying "can you smile fore me?" and then i raise his lips and show his teeth and say "look you're smilieing" then i give him praise and a treat.Depending on how well He understands it could take anywhere from a few days to a week maybe a bit longer then that.He is a smart dog so i think he will grasp it.Some dogs may not understand this command and may never get it,it just depends on the dog.

At first chewy would barely let me grab his muzzle to show him his teeth but after two or three times he would let me grab his muzzle to show his teeth and then i would praise him and give him a treat.So far it is going good and ill report back soon.Maybe ill make a diary on his new trick.
[notify]