GO!

Frustration Central

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jamba Cope

Celebrate life!

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 3:34pm PST 
Jamba is new to our family, and he's a year and a half. I don't believe he has had any previous training and I am getting sooo frustrated trying to train him. My husband and I are desperately trying (and we are signing up for obedience school).. any tips on how to make the transition easier?? Also, how to not let him get on furniture?
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 3:37pm PST 
My momme would push me off the furniture if I jumped on them without being invited. She would push me off as she said "NO" or sometimes she would just push me off, as if brushing dust off the surface. She would ignore me for whole 10-15 minutes after that.

When mommie did invite me up on the furniture (taps on the surface), she would praise and pet me when I went up. Soon I learned not to go up on furniture unless I was invited.
[notify]
♥Stitch♥

I love my mom.

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 6:00pm PST 
All mom had to do was raise her voice & I listen. Just like Snowy I have to be invited on the furniture. It took me a while in training class, there were even some things I didn't do until after graduation. My mom & teacher were real patient & understood I was scared.
[notify]

Sheila, MAD,- MR, MS,- JCH-Br, S

I'm so glad the- puppy is- gone....!!!

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 12:38pm PST 
Congratulations! Signing up for training classes is the best idea. It doesn't just teach your dog, it teaches YOU how to teach.

The best way to train your dog is to emphasize on the good behaviour: reward the GOOD stuff, don't punish bad behaviour. For example: Your dog sits in front of you and does NOT jump on the couch: reward him, praise him! If he jumps up: put him down immediately and ingnore him for a few minutes (as said in another post further up).

Since I don't know where exactly your issues are, here is my advice:

Most important command: "come"
ALWAYS, ALWAYS reward in some ways when your dog comes to you (treat, praise, play, etc.). NEVER, NEVER punish when he/she comes. NEVER.

Second most important: "STAY" or "WAIT"
Put some food in front of the dog and feed him/her for not taking it. Then release and praise, praise and reward with anything (food, toy, play, etc.) Increase time, distance and distraction over time.

With just these two commands rock-solid, you are having a well behaved dog.

Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Jeannie

Jeannie-- a.k.a.Spike

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 4:41pm PST 
Very good advice, Sheila! My mom has learned a lot from these forums.
Jeannie
[notify]
Zoe

professional - exfoliator

Barked: Tue May 24, '05 6:41pm PST 
We know how you feel! We'd also like to suggest the possibility that Jamba is still stressed/in transition and trying to figure out his new life and his new people. It took me several months after I came home from the pound to really trust my parents enough to listen to them, even though i really liked them from the get-go. There is an element of time to this kind of thing.
My parents also learned that I have a personality type that doesn't respond to scolding or "no" at all. I second, third and fourth the suggestions that you focus on positive reinforcement. Does he get a treat and praise everytime he goes to the bathroom outside? Make a big deal out of it! Make it really really REALLY fun to be good!
[notify]
Jamba Cope

Celebrate life!

Barked: Wed May 25, '05 10:09am PST 
Thanks for all the helpful comments... We have been making a big deal of things everytime he does something good. He just recently learned stay... and he knows "get a toy." He's been so much better as I thik he is used to us now... also we took him to a homeopathic vet who has given him a few flower essences to help him adjust. Thanks for all the advice.
[notify]
Odie

Odie - Chase me!!!

Barked: Wed May 25, '05 1:22pm PST 
I agree with Zoe; it does take time for them to adjust. Odie used to be distracted all the time and didn't even care about the treats when he was anxious about something else. So, it was difficult training him, but with lots of patience he's come a long way. We mostly used play instead of food to motivate him. He is a well-adjusted dog now, and I don't know how this happened but he is also much more interested in treats. Obedience class definitely helps. Try to do everything that helps you bond with your doggie (obedience, walking, playing, grooming, petting etc.). Also, make sure that your dog is getting enough exercise. I don't remember who said it, but someone said "a tired dog is a good dog," which I totally agree with.
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Wed May 25, '05 3:53pm PST 
Zoe gave you some great advice - also, Nicholas Dodman gives excellent, compassionate advice and insight in his books. Get them at the library!
[notify]
AJ (5/25/98 - 7/27/09)

Barked: Wed May 25, '05 9:43pm PST 
Our guys have never been allowed on the couch or chairs and they also don't rub up against them. I've always trained the doggies from puppyhood, that when they go to the couch and act like they are going to try and jump up, I go to the couch, place my palm on the cushions and say "No". I also use the command, "Don't touch" which is a good one if there is something tasty, or unusual like a bouquet of flowers on the end tables.

I caught AJ reclining on the couch just one time and when I walked into the room, he had SUCH a guilty look! He jumped off immediately and I took him back to the couch, laid my palm on it and told him, "Oh No!, Bad boy". I then sat him down in front of me and several times, went through the same procedure. I've never caught him on the couch since then.. and the couch is cloth and I would see any dogs hairs or pulled threads from their claws if they had been on it.

We never leave the dogs in the house if we go anywhere (or in the yard, for that matter even though our property is fenced.). They stay in the cool garage where they have a nice daybed if they don't want to lie on the floor. Because our large living room windows start only one foot from the floor, I would worry about something scaring them and possibly have them go through the window.
[notify]