GO!

shiba aggression

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ginger

Barked: Sun Jan 31, '10 12:22pm PST 
Ginger is a well trained shiba who is just at one year old. She has made much progress with her 'guarding' issues but we are stuck on the intensity. She has learned not to bite, and she will walk away from what she guarding on command. We have successfully weaned her off of toys but her food bowl and her treat cube are simply obsessions for her. She softle growls when we come near those two things. I do feed her by hand off and on at meals times. But when I have her cube she follows it with her eyes and won'tchange her focus - even when we call her name. She will come, but her eyes never leave that cube. Do I just keep training and push through this little plateau or is this perhaps a bigger issue.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sun Jan 31, '10 1:19pm PST 
Does she have a trade cue? Have you read Mine! by Jean Donaldson?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun Jan 31, '10 4:20pm PST 
I would try trading for a treat she would die for. Something she just can't resist.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 31, '10 4:24pm PST 
I would put the cube away for at least a month.
[notify]
Kitsu

Yes, I am this- handsome.

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 7:20am PST 
I agree with Asher, read Mine!

And with guest, just remove the coveted object for a bit. Our male shiba used to be really possessive over his bowl. So we started feeding him by hand only... never bringing the bowl back into the equation and he really got better with feedings.

We started feeding him from a kong while I held it too. Time consuming, but it helps.

We feed raw now (no bowl needed) and he has made such progress that I can walk over him while he's working on raw meat/bones, I can take things away from him (and trade) and I can trust him now!
[notify]