GO!

electronic barking deterrents

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jamba Cope

Celebrate life!

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 3:04pm PST 
Has anybody used this before? I am thinking of getting one for Jamba (since he barks at everything) but I just want some opinions on it.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Thu May 19, '05 6:14pm PST 
There are three types of electronic anti barkers. Anti barkers can either be worn as a collar, or be mounted on a wall.

1. Citric mist (collar type)

Upon barking, the anti barker will spray citric mist
on the dog's nose. This irritates the dog, but will not inflict pain.

2. Ultrasonic (collar type of wall mount)

Upon barking, the device will blast a high pitched loud noise that only dogs can hear. This will annoy the dog, but will not inflict pain.

I think the collar type training aids are effective, because your dog can't escape it (of course there are added inconveniences like constantly having to check the battery). The wall mount types only work when the dog is confined to a small space - otherwise, your dog will only avoid the room and bark somewhere else.

3. Electric Shock (collar)

Upon barking, the device will zap your dog with a light electric shock. This is somewhat painful to the dog.

A note of advice:

Your dog may bark louder and more frequently when you first use these training device. This resisting period can last anywhere from hours to weeks. Their natural instinct is to "fight" these annoyances - when they realize that they can't fight it, they will back down enough that it won't be so annoying, but it doesn't mean they will stop barking (they will just bark less). Bark control devices are not miracle devices that make your dog stop barking - it's just a machine that "corrects" your dog's behavior in your place, and just reminds your dog that her barking is not acceptable. You still need to play a role to complete the training. You need to praise your dog when quiet, and isolate your dog the moment the barking starts. I also advise you to turn off the device once your dog is not barking - I found out that some non-barking noises will also trigger the device (exampele: a ball bouncing on the floor, the sound of a door being shut)

Also, a word of warning: Many collar-type antibarkers come with a remote control that allows you to manually set it off when you want to. I would avoid devices that have remote controls - there are reports on how other remote devices (TV remote, garage door opener, etc) also trigger the anti barker.

For me, I used a wall-mount ultrasonic anti barker. It worked for me, because I needed several focused sessions to teach my dog to not bark.
[notify]
Brady

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 9:00am PST 
My roommate had a barking problem with her dog. He would bark constantly while we were gone. She picked up one of the citrus collars, and it has worked wonderfully. He stopped barking immediately. Now, the collar is rarely used. As far as the electric shock ones, I have a friend who uses one for her dog, and it seems to do the job. Furthermore, the dog isn't afraid or nervous when it comes out. The idea of an electric shock bothers me, but if it works, without any apparent adverse effects, it's probably ok.
[notify]

Izzy

booizzy.com

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 3:22pm PST 
I used an ultrasonic one with Izzy, and it worked pretty well. She had separation anxiety and would just screech and screech when I tried to go out. I used the collar, crate training, and a Kong filled with really good stuff to break that habit. Like Snowy said, the training is important too.

I use shock collars with my dogs now as part of their training. I've shocked myself a few times to try it and a few times on accident. If it's setup correctly, it doesn't really hurt. It's good to work with a trainer on those though.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Fri May 20, '05 10:11pm PST 
I have an ultrasonic collar that works WONDERFULLY! She usually only wears it when she is the only dogger in the run or in her crate at a show... she does the howling thing when she's bored.

I would have gone to the citronella but didn't need to!
[notify]