GO!

Why Do My Dogs Follow Me Around

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
R.I.P. RaJa- Babu Always- SDBH,

Reporter- Extraordinaire!

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 4:35pm PST 
I have two dogs, and they follow me around. I am a single owner, so they are focused on me. When I walk to the back-yard, they immediately follow me out even if they were sleeping two seconds ago. Of course, I am very happy that they love me so much and want to be with me always.
But I would like them to go to the back-yard and play by themselves, but they walk back in with me. Is this doggy pack behavior?
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 4:54pm PST 
All of mine do the same thing. I think they just follow me around if they think I'm going to get food. laugh out loud
Baci follows me EVERYWHERE I go and she's technically DH's dog. That's one of his little pet peeves. She's more focused on me than him and he's the one competing with her.
She even follows me to the bathroom and will wait outside the door until I come out.
Fungi is the same way.
Romeo and Herc follow me around a lot too.

I think it may be because I am basically the one that does everything for them. I bathe them, feed them, take care of them when they're not feeling well, etc.
[notify]
Quigley

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 7:05pm PST 
quigley follows me everywhere (esp. if he thinks i'm going to get food), but he's an australian cattle dog, and they're "velcroed" to their owners, so that's just part of his breed personality.
[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 7:17pm PST 
My BC/Beagle has mild separation anxiety and rarely lets me out of her sight. My Greyhound/Basenji/ACD is more independent. She stays on my bed when the two are not playing, but she must listen hard because she knows every move I make.

I don't know why they need to be with me or know where I am, but I assume because I am the giver of all good things - food, hugs and walks.

Edited by author Tue Dec 9, '08 7:24pm PST

[notify]
R.I.P. RaJa- Babu Always- SDBH,

Reporter- Extraordinaire!

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 7:29pm PST 
My dogs were both bought from breeders (my next dogs will be rescue dogs!). The first one, Raja, since he was my first dog and is spoiled, I suppose. I took him everywhere with me. Cassandra, the corgi came to be his friend. She is insecure of her place in the hierarchy (there is also a nine-year-old cat) and is very attached to me.

They play when I am outside. The moment I walk back into the house, they stop playing and run right back in. they have their doggy door. If I shut that, they press their noses against the kitchen door and look in.

They are adorable dogs. I love them very much! Are most dogs like this? I thought dogs liked to sit outdoors on the grass and play with toys and chase squirrels...
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 7:31pm PST 
LOL...I've gotten used to never being in the bathroom alone! Sometimes Mia will sit in the bathtub next to me, I think she's just hoping I'll give her some tp to eat.
[notify]
Peanut

Will work for- food

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 7:44pm PST 
Peanut's like that and the German Shorthair Pointers we had here for 2 weeks (pup sitting) are like that too.

With Peanut, I leave the bathroom door open a crack and she lays down right outside. That way I don't have an audience!
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 7:47pm PST 
Ah, mysteries of the canine mind.
Cookie would follow my grandma around when she was taking care of her. She slowly paid less attention until she only wanted some attention and back scratchies from my grandma once I began taking care of her.
Then she followed me around everywhere. When I brought Treader home, Cookie was no longer following me all the time. She did some, but I could actually walk by and she'd keep taking her nap, etc.
[notify]
Harper

Lets Play!

Barked: Wed Dec 10, '08 7:00am PST 
Mine follow me all over as well, thankfully they will go outside by themselves but if they think something fun is going on inde they will try to get back in. Our dogs have even learned how to open the doors, so if I have the bathroom door closed I will see the knob twist, and suddenly there are three labbies in the bathroom with me. I keep wondering how they all fit, our bathroom isn't that big. BOLsmile
[notify]
HARLEY

Tough Guy

Barked: Wed Dec 10, '08 7:26am PST 
Harley follows me from room to room even if he is sleeping when I move. We live on the second floor and when we let him out to go potty we let him go down by himself and we watch him from the second floor. (his recall is pretty good) If I let him out though I either have to go down the stairs with him or tell his command for potty several times before he will go without me. If anyone else lets him out he will go down alone and come back up when called or when he is done.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2