GO!

Training puppy to stay out from under my feet

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Willow

Blue Eyed- Australian- Shepherd

Barked: Wed Jun 25, '08 10:11pm PST 
Any suggestions? She is constantly walking between my legs or in front of them. I have been trying to walk with purpose keeping my legs steady when she hits them (walking slowly) and when she runs into them she bumps herself out of the way but she doesn't seem to be catching on to this. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 4:46am PST 
Well she's still a baby so it'll take time to learn these things! First of all, have you started teaching her basic commands yet? If not, start immediately, just with sit and down at first, and build up to stay. When Dougal is getting all under my feet or just following me like a stalker I'll find a spot where he can still watch me but not have to follow me every step, and ask him to lay down and stay. Then I'll give him a yummy treat ball or a toy or something to keep him occupied.

Good luck, Willow is one of the cutest pups I've ever seen! She's so fluffy cloud 9 blue dog
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 5:13am PST 
I agree with Dougal. Teaching a "go to your mat" cue is helpful, but either way it will take some time as she is so young. Being an aussie and a puppy she is very curious as to what you are doing, why, and if it involves her..all the time! BOL.

If you have to you can tether her with a leash to a piece of furniture or use your crate when you need her out from under your feet. Just remember not to leave her unattended in another room while tethered, safety first!

It is helpful to have a "mat" or doggy bed in each of the rooms you guys spend a lot of time in. This way she can learn that she can hang with you and be calm at the same time.

Willow

Blue Eyed- Australian- Shepherd

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 5:05pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions. She is crated when I'm working in the house but her main problem with being under my feet is when I am walking her. She walks ahead, behind, inbetween. Seems her favorite spot to be when I stop is between my legs.
[notify]
Snoopy

Self-appointed- Cookie Inspector

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 8:25pm PST 
Being under foot is what I do bestest! OK, I think its great, but mommy doesn't, as she is always telling me to "move". At other times, me and my brother just create an obsticle course for all the people in the house. Its really a good way for them to get more excersise in, you kow!BOL, also its just plain fun!
[notify]
Izzie

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 8:53am PST 
I think it is just a trait of the Aussie. When Izzie was much younger, our walks would be difficult because she would stay on my feet. I thought of it as her herding instinct coming out. I just had to learn to keep moving, and she will eventually figure it out. She has grown out of staying right on my feet somewhat, although if I'm not doing what she wants me to do, she will try to direct my feet with her mouth. Another of her favorite things to do is rub against my legs or walk in between my legs, like a cat. My only advice is that time will help! Enjoy her, they get big so quick!
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 1:03pm PST 
When walking I would try to keep my speed up and also reward her handsomely for being on the left side ( or whichever you prefer...), when you stop, keep both legs together, and try to get her to sit at your side and then reward her.
I also think this may be a great opportunity to TEACH her to weave between your legs! If she is already offering the behaviour it can be a sinch to add a cue to it...she's less likely to do it automatically if she has it on cue instead!
Berinhard

Owner of Souls

Barked: Sat Jul 5, '08 9:30pm PST 
Ber used to try and walk between my legs all the time.....as in get between them and stay there...that didn't work very well. after a while i stopped letting him have free reign of his leash, at least when we're walking in-town. i give him about a foot of leash, and hold my hand down at my side. that way, if he stays right next to me, the leash/collar are slack and comfortable. if he tries to move more than a few inches in any direction his collar will pull tight (don't have a choke collar or anything, just a rolled leather one, but i can hear his breathing become strained when he tries to pull in any direction for more than a couple seconds). When we're at the dog park i let him have free reign and since making him stay at my side when we go for our walk, he doesn't try to run between my legs anymore. he does still try to trip me, but i just move him with my leg when he does thatlaugh out loud
[notify]