GO!

When does a puppy learn to bark?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Pooh

Cuddle With Me- and I'm Yours!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 9:10pm PST 
My puppy his 4 1/2 months old and still doesn't know how to bark. Does anyone know, is this normal? Is there a standard age when puppies learn to bark? Thanks.
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 10:46pm PST 
Dog's don't naturally bark. While it seems like barking is their way of communicating, in fact dogs communicate almost entirely through body language, growling, and some whining.

Barking is learned from observing humans talk-- and we do talk at them a lot. Wild dog packs and wolves don't bark as a major form of communication. We assume barking is part of "normal" canine language because we like to bark so much... BOL!
laugh out loud

So don't worry about it if your dog doesn't vocalize. Count your blessings.
cloud 9

P.S. Even non-barking dogs have been known to loudly defend the house in "stranger danger" situations. I think a non-barking dog is the best!

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '08 10:48pm PST

[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been...

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 11:04pm PST 
For the love of all quiet!...I asked the same about Samson once...Count your blessings!!!way to golaugh out loud
[notify]

Pooh

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 11:37pm PST 
Thanks, you guys. I had no idea barking was something dogs learned to do from humans. I will certainly keep my fingers crossed that Pooh remains his sweet, very quiet self!
[notify]
Nick, CGC, WETX

I like wet, fowl- smelling things

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 3:36am PST 
Nick barks about once every three months usually when he corners a possum in the yard or if someone rings the doorbell (at our house people usually just walk in, bol). On the other hand Duke, our toy poodle, barks if the wind hits him in the butt or if someone sneezes in China, or if a cloud passes overhead.

Quiet is good.

Edited by author Thu Jan 10, '08 3:38am PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 6:38am PST 
In my little group, I have 5 poms and a pom mix. Poms are barkers to the max. I'd be overjoyed to have a group of quiet dogs!!

If you have a quiet dog, be happy. As Nick said, quiet is good.
[notify]
Pooh

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 10:41am PST 
Ironically, Pooh made what sounded like a distictive but tiny "woof" noise yesterday morning to get my attention. But not a peep from him since. Thanks for all your responses. I know now that I need to treasure the silence! smile
[notify]
Maggie

I'm the princess

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 3:13pm PST 
I'm 3 months and I only bark a small bit when I'm playing with my sister. For the most part if I make any noise its whining when mom and dad come home. I'm trying to do my best to learn ALL my brother and sister's bad habits and develop some new ones of my own to keep my mom on her toes vbig laugh
[notify]