GO!

How to keep dog out of pool?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucy

Play all day!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 6:56am PST 
We are ready to build a swimming pool and our almost 2 year old Lab, Lucy, LOVES the water. We want to train her only to go in when invited. Problem is, we have a dog door and I work some days and would like to continue to have the freedom to come and go in the house.

Any ideas? Or am I just crazy to think we can keep her out of the pool? dog
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 7:00am PST 
You have to work on teaching her to only enter the pool when invited from the start. Put her on a leash and have her sit by the edge before you invite her into the pool and reinforce her for it. She must NEVER go in on her own. Its going to take many repetitions and a few weeks before you can even think of trusting her to keep herself out of there. While this is going on, the dog door must NOT be used, because then she will go in there on her own while unattended... and will learn to not go in while you're there... and to do what she likes while you are there.

Its going to take a lot of work, but its possible
[notify]
Breeze

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 9:47am PST 
duplicate

Edited by author Sat Jul 21, '07 9:49am PST

[notify]

Breeze

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 9:48am PST 
Although thier is no guarantee and you cannot fully trust that your dog regardless of the amount of training will never go into the pool uninvited and management is the safest bet you can of course teach/condition the dog to understand for the most part when it is not acceptable to do so. Besides the things mentioned you can use correction based methods effectively and if used incorrectly or in a particular manner can shut down the dogs desire at various levels to go into the pool at all depending on the circumstances so understanding the process can be crucial in this case.

Thier are also tools that can be used to assist in training such as the water sensor collar that will trigger a loud hopefully irritating decibal sound level noise that will influence the dog not to go into the pool. The collar as part of conditional learning can also be removed (rather than the device being turned off) from the dog and thus hopefully conditioning the dog to understand that when you are at home or when the collar is off other rules come into play.

good luck

cheers

Edited by author Sat Jul 21, '07 9:53am PST

[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 11:04am PST 
Well you would have to train him but there is so guarantee that he will listen. I would just put up a fence to keep him out.
[notify]
Little Bear- 12/1992-1/20- 05

Chase it!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 11:59am PST 
Mommy recommends the fence...even though you COULD train her to stay out of the pool, mommy is a worrier and would always fear she decided to get in...and the biggest problem with that, is not being able to get out. Mommy's boss had a dog that got into the pool after they had opened it for the season (she slept on the cover in the winter), and she could not get out because she could not find the stairs and she drowned, because she got tired and no one was home to help her...so mommy says to PLEASE be careful and protect your fur-baby!
[notify]
Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 1:08pm PST 
You might want to consider fencing your pool, especially if you will be having young children around or visiting. This will keep both pets and children safe. Some ordinances require it.

I do child death reviews for the county. You wouldn't believe how fast/easy it is for a pet/child to drown. I've had situations where a child followed their pet into the pool and somehow both drowned.
[notify]
ZOE, ALWAYS- IN MY HEART

What- Would Cesar- Do?

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 1:29pm PST 
we have a pool and both dogs are trained not to jump in. but they were out there once and zoe fell in accidently. thank God i was right there. she panicked and couldn't find the steps. so even if you train them accidents can happen. i don't take the chance anymore. they are only allowed out when someone is with them.
[notify]
Lucy

Play all day!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 1:51pm PST 
Thanks for all your responses!

I am sorry for the loss of your dog cry
[notify]
Crosby 6/98 - 11/09

Splash Down!!!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 1:56pm PST 
I have a 9 year old lab. He has his CGC & does obedience. In other words a very trained, well behaved, good listening dog. I can even leave food on the coffee table & he won't touch it. My first thought when I read your post was "The only way I could keep Crosby out of the water would be to not put in the pool!" laugh out loud big laugh

I would put up the fence! Good luck!wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2