GO!

small dog fears big dogs

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Giselle- Ghibli- Gigglygirl

Glamorous- Ectomorph

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '07 8:53pm PST 
my small dog (13 pounds) either dislikes or fears any larger dogs. I am not sure what to do except to continue to introduce the small dog to others in the hopes that eventually the small dog will get to like the large dogs?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '07 8:56pm PST 
Socialization will help, but it should be done under the supervision of a professional.

You have to take things slow and desensitize her, making it more positive than frightening to be around a big dog. Simply walking her right up to one is only going to reinforce that seeing a big dog is scary. Besides, not all large dogs like small dogs, either. If something happens, it's likely she'll never recover from it.
[notify]