GO!

how to stop using the wee wee pad

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Motley

All About Me,- All The Time

Barked: Sun Aug 20, '06 2:58pm PST 
Hi, I'm a year old jack russell terrier. My mom and dad know that they have made some mistakes with me and are now trying to fix them. They got me a trainer and she came for the first time yesterday. We had a good time and I learned a couple of things, but the thing my parents are having trouble with is how they should get me to stop using the wee wee pad and instead go outside. We all know that this is going to be a difficult task, but my parents aren't really sure how to get me started. Please help my parents out.
[notify]
Halo

Did someone say- treat?

Barked: Sun Aug 20, '06 5:41pm PST 
Try putting the pad outside. That's what worked for me. Good luck!
[notify]
Motley

Barked: Mon Aug 21, '06 5:34am PST 
Thank you for responding. I actually tried it this morning and it didn't work but I'm going to keep on trying until it does
[notify]

Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Mon Aug 21, '06 6:48am PST 
I have always read about the method to first reduce the area lined with puppy pads. Then gradually moving it outside. I'm reading a book on housebreaking right now and the author suggested that it is better to just cut the puppy pads out completely and start housebreaking fresh by feeding the dog on a regular schedule, crating inbetween bathroom breaks, etc. I'm in the same situation you are, I was misguided in the beginning about puppy pads as the first step to housebreaking. Penny uses the puppy pads perfectly but I'm waiting for the right time to just start fresh. It's going to be difficult but the older they get, the harder it is so might as well try to get it over with now! Goodluck! Keep me posted since I'm trying to do the same thing!
[notify]
Motley

Barked: Mon Aug 21, '06 9:22am PST 
I'm glad I'm not the only one. The only reason why I don't want to take the pads away from him completely is because he already hates being in his crate when we aren't home and at night. I'm gonna feel bad having to crate him all the time being it hasn't been that way for a year already. I think the first time he finally goes outside, I'll take it away completely. I'll definitely keep you posted though.
[notify]
Meisha

aka Meisha- Barkton

Barked: Mon Aug 21, '06 6:29pm PST 
I am assuming when you first started using the wee-wee pads, your puppy got lots of praise and was told how good he was. When he goes on the pads now, don't say anything, and completely ignore him. Sometimes when dogs are learning to ween off the pads they can't help themselves, and they'll attempt to use them whenever possible because that's what they are used to. The key is to not give him a chance! Take him outside on regular intervals, and use a simple command to let him know it is time to relieve himself. Meisha's is "Go pee-pee". When you are first doing this, you may have to stay outside for up to a half hour, or even longer, but be patient. When your doggy finally does go to the bathroom outside, make it an epic event! He is your hero! He is so amazing! Oh, and look! You have a treat in your pocket, just for him! What a good dog! Give lots of love and praise. It doesn't take long to catch on, especially when your doggy knows that what he is doing will get him an awesome reward (Meisha learned with gourmet liver treats, they were small and were ONLY given when she went outside).

Hope this helps a bit. ^_^
[notify]
Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Tue Aug 22, '06 6:06am PST 
We should definitely keep each other posted Motley! And Meisha's mom has been so helpful smile

I used to not mind that Penny is paper trained, but it's very annoying to clean up when she decides to be bad, and she also misses the pad by inches all the time. All fours can be on the pad but somehow the pee/poop just didn't want to stay in the pad!!

I think Penny has come to learn that going outside isn't bad. I think she saw other dogs doing it in daycare or dog parks. Also, she has been outside all day so there were occasions she had no choice but to go outside. She still has a lot of problems pooping outside. She has done it a couple of times but most of the time she waits till she gets back. I definitely need to go buy treats that are JUST for potty training and nothing else. I'm in the midst of creating a schedule and trying my best to stick to it. In the mean time I'm still going to leave the pads out. But I'm going to change them more frequently so there's not a lot of scent left. And I'm going to rub the soiled ones on the grass outside before I take her out.
[notify]
Motley

Barked: Tue Aug 22, '06 7:58am PST 
Thanks for all your advice. I'm not giving up yet. One day it will all come together...I hope
[notify]