GO!

Sheltie Owners: How To Stop Excessive Barking?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Dusty

Is it nap time?

Barked: Thu Jun 29, '06 12:53pm PST 
Alhough my sheltie is getting better about barking at every single noise outside, he still barks ALOT. I know that this is the Sheltie trait, but is there anything I can do? I tell him "No Bark!" very firmly & grasp his snout. When I release him, he always barks once more. He totally has to have the last word! I have a 10 month old baby & I can not tell you how many times he has woken her up & then he gets punished.
Any suggestions?
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Fri Jun 30, '06 7:53am PST 
My trainer told Mom to make a "shake can". Take an old can from something like soup or vegetables. Put a half-dozen or so pennies in the can. Tape the top shut. Then.....

*bar-rar-rar-rark* < shake can >

*Wha-huh?*

It's pretty effective. You need to shake it pretty quick as he starts barking. A good sharp shake to rattle the pennies should get his attention (and that noise is awful). Keeps me from barking most times.

Smoke, hides from the can now
[notify]
Casper

I like to move- it, move it.

Barked: Fri Jun 30, '06 8:21am PST 
ha! the shaker can worked well with my Pandora, my little barker min pin when she was alive, she hated the noise. i have been training casper to the can too.
try that trick, smile
[notify]

Ein

Ahhh, the Tale- of my Tail!

Barked: Fri Jun 30, '06 1:51pm PST 
*side note
Is this a Sheltie thing? When I was a kid, we had two of them, and they both barked constantly. My parents tried everything, and finally ended up removing the voice box of one. (Hey, no one asked MY opinion in the matter!) The vet was pretty shocked, because it's normally a very simple procedure; however, our Sheltie had barked so much that he'd actually created muscle around his voice box!

The only thing I can think of for lessoning barking would be teaching the bark command, then teaching a quiet command. (Dogs understand action commands before they understand a non-action command.) I know in another thread, someone suggested citronella collars, but I've never used one.
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Sat Jul 1, '06 6:09am PST 
I use a squirt bottle when one of mine is barking excessivly.
It seems like I am always carrying the bottle around the house for one of them.
Mine are all fosters that really do not know any better but they eventually get it.
[notify]