GO!

A little help from my fellow beauceron owners!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Khaleesi

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 9:00pm PST 
Hey guys I have a couple questions for y'all smile

My pup just turned 6 months old and she is about 25" tall and 54 lbs. she very lanky and I don't know if her size is average or large for her age. She is by far the best animal companion I have ever had.

Also she is rather submissive and when seeing people on the other side of the fence she is nervous is this because she is still a pup? I'd like to help her feel a little more secure with herself and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

smile thanks guys!
[notify]
UKC Ch- Endless- Waltz de- Nanrox

<(-How do you- Dew?-)>

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:06pm PST 
Who did you get her from? Depending on her lines she could be on the larger end or smaller, but the standard is "bitches 24 to 26½ inches at the withers". I don't remember any measurements of my girl right along, but she is 3 and 25" at the withers, and is around 64lbs, she hit her height around 10 months and current weight at around 2 years, she's right in between, but these days the French show lines tend towards a smaller size. She's also narrow, but just starting to spring out in rib. They go through some funny growing stages though like all large breed puppies, and you will see the "leggy stages" quite a few times until they start to fill out around 18-24 months old. They also don't tend to mature for a long time, like I said she's still "filling out" at 3 years old. Gotta run, I'll get back to you on temperament later.
[notify]

<(-How do you- Dew?-)>

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:50am PST 
Okay, second question about interacting with strangers, first again we go to the breed standard:
"...A formidable dog with a frank and unwavering expression, he always demands respect wherever he goes. ...He retains a high degree of his inherited instinct to guard home and master. Although he can be reserved with strangers, he is loving and loyal to those he knows."

Does you pup seem "fearful" or just "not quite sure"? I'll refer you to this link on canine body language so you can pick apart what you think- http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilita/5652847156/

Now given that, some lines of this breed do tend towards an "anxious" and even "fearful" temperament, it happens, and in some lines more than others. You can help your puppy to be more "open/excepting" with the public, whether fearful or just breed wise suspicious, through more socializing, but be warned, this breed is also easy to "break" with the wrong kind of introduction, so make sure you find an easy to control environment where people would be more willing to ask you about your dog (the pet store/farm store, little farmers markets, etc), instead of say a busy event where everyone and their eighth cousin might come to maul your dog for petting and hugs (which is rude, IMO as well as my dogs).

Now from my own experience, I have a cautious/fearful girl, but overall I sadly ended up with what I didn't want, the "happy to see everyone I can't control my excitement" Golden Retriever in a sheepdog suit. That happens too, it's taken a LOT to get her where she is now that she can safely keep 4 on the floor, but also not turn her off to strangers. She did have ONE bad experience one day when a family friend came over once, and from that I've now had issues with her and some men, I'm guessing it's a scent on them that's familiar to the experience? But she will back away, ears back, turned, and giving a low deep growl, at which point I usually dump a treat in their hand, and she'll take it cautiously in exchange for some nice petting (which I instruct them to please go under the chin or along the side of her face, she almost always backs away from "head pats" which again are rude to all dogs anyhow), she'll usually warm up a little after, but it's a work in progress.

Biggest tip, is mostly to control the environment as best you can to make sure every experience your puppy has is a good one! That is the most important key with handling this breed. I've heard numerous times from people across the world with this breed how much they would love to get into things like French Ring or schutzhund training with their Beauceron's, but can't because they don't have a trainer who can reliable work with their particular temperament needs in training, they truly are a different dog to work with than say a GSD or Rottie, or Mal, or Dobie, when it comes to that respect (although I'm far more a firm believer in the training methods outlined in those illustration I linked above by Lili Chin, no matter the breed, and it seems many other countries do too which is where I do see the few trainers able to successfully work with Beauceron in FR/Sch training, interestingly enough).

As to maturity, the leery of strangers thing wont just "go away", as I already stated, that's something that needs to be worked on now properly to change it. But overall, yes this is a "slow to mature" breed, however, I've personally found and can't state highly enough, that this breed is exceptionally SLOW to mature! I've seen breeders state it on their website, but no one can exclaim it enough, my girl is just 3 years old, and FINALLY things are starting to "click" with her. It isn't just the physical maturity, which at 3 she's only just starting to look like she's "filled out", although she's still too narrow which comes from her family line.

Hope that's enough info for now, let me know if you have anymore questions, I don't proclaim to be an expert, but feel free to pick my brain of personal experience with my very first Beauceron, it's been quite a ride already in the short (although it seems like forever!) 3 years I've had her.
[notify]

Khaleesi

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 6:33pm PST 
I suppose she is more of the alert stance with people on the other side of the fence, which is fine with me. She is always very kind with people but hesitant in some ways. I take her to the park almost every day for obedience training and then will take her to a dog park we have a few minutes away to let her play and get the needed socialization. She will approach people at the dog park but just certain people seem to make her uneasy, or rather submissive. 9 times out of 10 she will go right up with a wagging tail, ears back and licking them senseless.

She is not much of a guard dog... as you were saying more like a golden retriever with anyone who comes in the house or knocks on the door. I don't mind that too much, my roommate's pit bull puppy has enough bark to be the guard dog of the house haha.

It is only when she is in the yard that she seems uneasy about things.

I got her from the Payne family in North Carolina. Her mother's name was Celah and the father was Anis DGV. She was one of the largest in the litter.

There was plenty of research that went in before I got her. I realized they were slow to mature which is fine. I am a pretty patient person and I don't mind waiting for her to grow up. She is the most loving and attentive pup... many of the people at the dog park are surprised by how attentive she is at 6 months. She played with a friends child for hours yesterday fetching and following him around... I was nervous about it, she tends to play rather rough and doesn't know how big she is. Her head is in my lap as I type this. She is wonderful.

I was not sure if she would be more sure of herself later in life, meaning a little more protective of the house? I by no means need her to be I was just curious what other people had experienced with their beauces.
[notify]
Khaleesi

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 6:39pm PST 
I MEANT TO ADD!!

I am very careful about where I take her... I don't want to put her too far out of her comfort zone or to be pushed too hard. She is with me at the barn when I feed horses and the kids come to ride their ponies so she gets good time with all ages, animals, and has never shown any signs of uneasiness.

she IS a picky eater though. That is my current trouble. frown
[notify]

<(-How do you- Dew?-)>

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:31am PST 
Sounds like you are already on the right track then! I'm familiar too with the "uneasy in certain locations" bit, my girl's having issues right now with going in the woods, the coyotes have poo'd ALL along the path from the field up! Nope, she wont ever be a guard dog as far as I'm concerned, that's why I have the Corgi wink . Actually she had a funny melt down one night, I awoke from a vivid dream to hear coyote's yowling right outside my window, I looked over to watch her dart out of my bedroom, then peek around the corner of the door giving me the "Mommy, DO SOMETHING!?" look, yep, some guard dog. Doesn't matter a bit to me, she's SUPER sweet.

And it's funny, she can be so very gentle and careful playing with the Mini Dachsie, but he wont go out and play if she's out already, because there have been a few occasions where she's run right over him, poor guy, she just get's a little too exuberant.

And nice lines way to go .

About the picky eating however...HA! Good luck, got that here too, battle it less these days, it seems from what I've been told they do grow out of it, but man! Is it a battle, my poor girl went through a particularly bad spat of it when she was less than a year and got to the point where you could feel her hip bones! Freaked my mother out, but nope, she just wouldn't eat, and if you forced her to eat, she'd just bring it back up in a private dark corner of a less active room, *yuck*. Patience is the best advice I can give, I have found that she's more inclined to eat after exercise (although do keep to at least one hours rest after!), and she also likes smaller meals in the morning and larger ones in the evening. If you only have her right now you may also want to "free-feed" her at night at bed time, I found that helped (shut her in my room with a bowl of kibble), although the boys will gladly take a meal every hour and I feed them around 6-6:30PM, she seemed to prefer 8PM, now that she's eating more regularly I feed her the same time as everyone else.

Good luck with her! And if you can, you may also want to look into herding classes, or someone in the area that offers lessons, she sounds like she would be great at it if she's anything like my girl, and it's a lot of fun! We're half way to our AKC PT title, didn't pick up another leg this fall as they canceled the trial I entered, so it will have to wait till next spring, but there's always practice. It took her over a year but once I finally got her "turned on" to the sheep, she really enjoys it now.
[notify]
Khaleesi

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 7:49pm PST 
Hello again! Khaleesi is EXACTLY the same way about strange noises and things outside normally, but the other day my roommate was in the attic and she barked two or three times. COMPLETELY took me off guard. That's about as "guard dog" ish she will get which is fine with me smile

feeding her has gotten a little better. She is still very lean but I purchased Wellness large breed puppy food for her and she is scarfing it down. Also I am giving her a small itty bitty portion of SOJO raw diet as an in between meal.

we just hit the 7 month mark and she seems to be at a plateau growth wise. I think this food combo is going to help her coat and weight some smile
[notify]