How to get papers?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!


Anyone who comes- to my door is my- friend
Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 2:11pm PST 
Hello! We adopted a purebred ACD back in July. She is a red heeler, and although we got her from a local shelter, we can tell she is a purebred. She is a textbook case for an ACD. We have no idea who her parents are or where she came from. The shelter said she came in as a stray.

We would very much like to show her and take her to obedience or agility shows, but we have no papers for her.

Is there a way to verify she is a purebred and to obtain papers for her?

why are they not- all bowing?
Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 10:41am PST 
There is no way to 'paper' a stray or any dog without the papers of both sire and dam but your dog can be registered in a group that competes in agility in the group for mixes, etc. I am not greatly educated but if you go to the dogster agility forum someone there can tell you how to get started.

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 12:24am PST 
You can't "show" her as in Conformation classes but you can get a number/certificate from a kennel club which allows you to compete in performance events. For all intents and purposes however, she isn't papered, just allowed to compete.

For the AKC it's called the PAL/ILP. Basically you download their form. Fill it out. Show proof of alteration. Take two photos (both standing) of her from the side and then front, write out a $30 check and send it in. Three weeks later you should have an AKC number.

UKC is slightly cheaper, I think it's $20 for the number.

USDAA has their own competitor dealio too.