GO!

First time Cattle dog parent with some questions.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mac

Wana go outside- ?!?!?

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:52pm PST 
We are from upstate New York and as the days are getting colder Mac is refuseing to play outside he runs out does his buisness and then wants to go back inside.With all of the pent up energy we are now haveing to cenel him when we are not home because he has become quit distructive.I am trying to find ways to get a good work out in a short amount of time outside. Someone had suggested getting a dog back pack and puting some weight in it to make a 15 min walk= to a 30 min walk what do you think?
[notify]
Koby

Please don't- feed your dog- Beneful.

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '07 5:31pm PST 
That can be a good idea, if your dog is an adult. It can be stressful for growing puppies though. You can try getting booties and/or a jacket, and seeing if she responds better to the cold that way, although my cattle dog LOVES playing in snow, and it never bothered him really.
[notify]
Whiskey

I'm an actor not- a ham

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '07 4:09pm PST 
Also if your cattle dog does not like the outside when it is cold get him a kong and other toys that make him work indoors.
[notify]

Molly

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 6:13pm PST 
You're training your dog to be a whimp.

Put him outside and shut the door.

Our 2 blue heelers absolutely LOVE the snow. They are outdoor dogs, they have invisible fence and respect it. We have a doggy door in an entry door to a small room at the back of our garage. That room is heated comfortably and it's where their food and water, along with a crate (open) and lots of bedding lives.
They come into the house with us in the evening when we get home from work, and get kicked out before we go to bed. Often, one or both will be scratching at the door to go out long before we go to bed. Not to go pee, but to go play in the snow.

Brett
[notify]
Kiara

Don\\\'t hate me- because I\\\'m- adorable

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '08 6:54pm PST 
My Cattle dog only tolerates the cold. I find that if it's going to be really cold (less than 25 degrees) or if we're going to be outside for long periods of time, I put a coat on her. That helps encourage her to stay outside.

I also find that taking her tennis ball outside or her Kong and throwing it for her encourages her to get some exercise. If she's concentrating on chasing the ball, she doesn't think about how cold it is. And I try to determine the length of each exercise session based on the conditions. That helps too.
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 6:07pm PST 
i'm not tooo keen on rain or snow. i don't mind being out in the snow to play with my brother for a bit but there are times i don't even want to go out & do my business due to the weather.shrug as for a back pack...mommy got me one last summer...i don't love it but i don't mind it either.
[notify]