GO!

So... does the term "Pit Bull" offend some of you pit owners?...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 5:41am PST 
Well, mabye. Pit Bulls are beautiful creatures. They deserve to be loved more than ANY other dog. I am an American Staffordshire owner, and they are ANGELS. GO BULLY BREEDS!!!

Alley
[notify]
Molly Bird

What? You said- sit? Ok I'll- jump on you!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 7:44pm PST 
I call mine "pit bulls" since American Pit Bull Terrier is a bit of a mouthful. It doesn't offend me at all when other people call them that either. My fiance hates when people call them "pits" though. He thinks it sounds degrading. Pitties and Pibbles are fine.puppy
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 12:12am PST 
I don't get offended when someone calls my dog a Pit Bull...her mom is a Pit Bull and her dad is a Pit Bull. Aside from that I don't know...I only get offended when someone decides to put her down because of her breed.
[notify]

Gargamel

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 7:50pm PST 
It only offends me if people use it wrong. If you know your dog is an APBT and call your dog a pit bull its fine, thats what it is. AmStaff and APBT do not look alike to me at all. They have very different structures and heads and chest. They are 2 different breeds. I was told my boy was am AmStaff but never got the papers or proof of his lineage therefore My boy is a mutt. I can't prove what someone told me is fact so why pretend? I get bothered by people who call their dogs pit bulls who have no freaking clue if their dog really is an APBT. You can NOT go from what the breeder told you unless he knows generations of history in his head and has handwritten or formal Pedigree's the sire and Dame being traced, you can NOT go from what your vet or shelter or the media tells you, and yes even though everyone else might call your unpapered dog a "pit bull" doesn't mean it is one.

APBT have AWESOME temperaments with Humans, they do NOT attack humans. Most dogs that DO attack humans on the news are labeled as a pit bull and are really mutts or other breeds commonly mistaken for the one true Pit Bull, the American pit Bull Terrier.

Why do people have a problem with calling their dog a mutt? If they did they should seek out a reputable breeder or rescue that has papered APBT and get one from there.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 3:35am PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
Well said, Gargamel!
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:00pm PST 
If they can't say Pitbull when they have one then they don't need to have one. I think if you are going to risk having a Pitbull as a pet then you need to grow some balls and fight for that dog. Pitbulls are very loyal and loving dogs. I call my Pitbull a pitbull, bully, pittie, etc. And i'm proud to say it. She's my baby and i'd die for her!
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:46am PST 
I don't get offended and use it as an opportunity for Lacey to give someone a positive impression of a pit bull.
[notify]
Princess

The most lovable- dog in the- world.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 11:43am PST 
Daddy's right. The only difference between the American Staffordshire terrier and the American pit bull terrier is all aesthetic. The are, actually, essentially one in the same. The AKC refused to register American pit bull terriers as they did not want to be associated with dog fighting. However, when the popularity of the breed began to rise, they began registering the breed under a different name. The American Staffordshire terrier. Even today, many pit bulls are dual registered with both the AKC and UKC, recognized as both pit bulls and Am staffs. The only real difference is that the American pit bull is often bred to fit the working dog look, even if not a working dog. Slim, muscular, smaller than the Am staff. The Am staff is bred to fit the show dog look. Bigger, muscular, a bit more... rounded? Not sure that's the word I'm looking for, but something like that. So, yeah, it confuses me when people get offended regarding the confusion between the two. If they knew a lick about their dog's history, they would know that it's not an insult at all.

I never get offended at the term "pit bull". There are much worse things one could call my dog. Pit bulls are people dogs. Always have been. Even in the past, they were bred to be as people friendly as possible. For the work they, sadly, had to do - they had to be people oriented. Even now, however, most pet pit bulls fit the bill. Big ol' (or small, rather, since 35 lbs is not unheard of!) lugs that want nothing more than to cuddle their owner or romp around the yard chasing a ball. Lilo was a pit bull. Princess is a pit bull mix. And I'm not offended by that. That would be just silly.

dog
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 6:33pm PST 
LOL, even though I still get "The Look" sometimes I'm proud of my bully babies... At the dog park people will ask sometimes in hushed whisper "Is she um...a mix?" ( the other code phrase in suburbia " Oh, is she a rescue?") And I feel good that I can say she is a pit bull and she is having a grand time playing with the teacups. I think it helps educate even those few owners that shes just a regular dog, not a monster. She's made many friends dog and human in the little dog side of the parksmile
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 3:42pm PST 
Pit Bull does not offend me
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2