GO!

Prices we pay for ear cropping.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
"HOOVER" plus "Attie"

"Evil thrives- when good men do- nothing"

Barked: Thu Dec 25, '08 4:37pm PST 
I know this is a touchy subject and I know all too well how some feel about it. So, having said that to say this I also know that there are a few that still believe as I do that if done properly and in the right setting (by a Vet that knows what he's doing and has done many before) We have it done. How much and where do you live? My Vet does it and has done it for 30 years. I remember back in 1983 he charged around $100.00 to do it he now charges $250.00.
I was curious how much other people were paying to have it done?
[notify]
Ryker James- CGC

Live strong and- play hard.

Barked: Thu Dec 25, '08 6:49pm PST 
Ryker's was $200 including ID tattoo on his thigh.
[notify]
"HOOVER" plus "Attie"

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 8:52am PST 
WOW, that's not bad.....a tatoo too? As long as we've gone to our Vet I'm not sure if he does tatooing too.
[notify]

Ryker James- CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 8:07pm PST 
Yup. And it was all laser-based from what I was told.
[notify]
"HOOVER" plus "Attie"

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 8:53pm PST 
Our Vet also takes off the dew claws too. He said that Hoover had the biggest ones he's ever seen in a Pit before. He's been doing this for 30 years. He told me that he had to put in 4 stiches for each paw.
Did you have Ryker's taken off too?
I know some think that it's not right to do it but I do have to say one thing about it, if Hoover experienced any pain at all it never showed. His ears healed really nicely in just a few days. He didn't scratch or paw at them. As a matter of fact he acted like he didn't notice at all.shrug
We've had some bad experience in the past with having those dew claws accidentally ripped off. So we choose to take them off when we have the ears cropped.

Edited by author Fri Dec 26, '08 8:57pm PST

[notify]
Luna Eve CGC

Honor and trust,- a dog's true- nature.

Barked: Sat Dec 27, '08 3:15pm PST 
The breeder did dewclaws at 2-3 days old - which is when they're SUPPOSED to be done. If it's past that, unless it's a real issue of them tearing, I don't remove them.

Luna, my eldest, has her dewclaws. She occasionally hurts the nail, but not so much we've considered amputation (which is what it is after that 2-3 day mark).
[notify]
"HOOVER" plus "Attie"

Barked: Sat Dec 27, '08 8:58pm PST 
Good for you! we didn't have the luxury of having Hoover at that age.

Edited by author Sat Dec 27, '08 9:02pm PST

[notify]
Ryker James- CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 28, '08 4:25pm PST 
I didn't either, the breeder did them on both Lyric and Ryker.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 6:52am PST 
I paid $125 to get Hans' ears done in 1994. That included pain meds and the works during surgery (IV in place, IV fluids, IV pain meds, ect). The tape started bugging him the next afternoon. We took it off and he left them alone.

I've seen up to $300 for laser cropping. Don't know if that included all of the "extras". There is a vet in Jacksonville that will do a basic crop for $150 (none of the extras). He charges $85 to $100 for debarking.

I've never had problems with dewclaws. I decided a long time ago that if one ever became a problem, we'd go ahead with the amputation. I look at them on a case by case basis. Some dogs use them more than others. It doesn't just hang there; you can viably see the muscle group that moves it.

All of the vets I've spoken with do these things between 10 and 20 weeks, though most prefer 16 weeks as the cut off.

Tattooing wise, check around at some of the shows. Some of the kennels have their own gun and will ink dogs on the lunch break or after the are done in the ring. I opted to have a vet ink Scooter. Being a Beagle, he doesn't take pain as well as an APBT so putting him under was a risk worth taking. That vet was use to inking cows, so the numbers are huge.
[notify]
"HOOVER" plus "Attie"

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 4:01pm PST 
Happy New Year Scooter,
Wow laser surgery for ear cropping? that sounds interesting. I had no clue they did that? We had Hoover's done back last March of this past year. His ears were taped for 2 days and he was great about it. He paid no attention to them and after a couple of days the tape came off and about 8 or 9 days later the stitches came out. He was a real trooper about it. Honestly, he never paid any attention to them at any time. My first APBT had his ears done in 1983 I paid $100.00 to have his ears done. Back then that was quite a bit. Of course that was .....almost 26 years ago. The same Vet did Hoover's that did my first and the first Pit had no problems either.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3