GO!

Guess my mix...Pitbull version

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Karu

Misbehaved Mutt

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 9:27am PST 
We have been trying to figure out my pup pup's breed mix since we got him. Had him a month. We DNA tested him we were so curious, we have not got the result yet. I'm just want to see people's guesses as everybody we meet has a different idea. My current guess is Pitbull/Boxer/Lab that would account for everyone of his traits but the black back/saddle. Alittle bit of info on him, his tail has been cropped(not natural), hes 46lbs as of yesterday but could easily gain 5 more. He has double rear dew claws. A very small white patch on his tummy and little white hair through his coat, black hairs heavy mix in on his back and ears. The shelter had him as a golden retriever/boxer mix, the shelter worker called him a rott mix, hes been called a pitbull twice by strangers, a boxer mix twice, some other guesses include rott/jack Russell mix(I'm serious), airedale mix, "dog with curly tail mix". I would love to hear your guesses. I'm posting this here as we believe theres a good chance there is pitbull in him and who better to pick the traits out then pitbull owners.
Guess away
[notify]
Peanut

Will work for- food

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 2:16pm PST 
I can guess ... but I'm no expert!

I'm thinking Rottie/Lab.

Of course, Peanut's a kinda mystery Pit (we think) mix herself...
[notify]
Billie Jean

...the- Wiggle-Butt- Machine

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 6:41pm PST 
I'm not sure why you think Peanut's a mix... she looks pretty pitty to me. Unless it's just the pictures. smile
[notify]

Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 7:29pm PST 
DNA tests do not test for the american pitbull terrier, as they are not AKC registered, so even if she is part APBT, the test will not include it.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 8:25pm PST 
I'm thinking she's a Heinz 57... (an all out mutt)

I see quite a bit of things there myself. A bit of pittie, maybe rottie, lab, shepherd... shall I go on? laugh out loud

Sandy's a Heinz 57. They're adorable, really.

Edited by author Sat Aug 9, '08 8:25pm PST

[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 9:21pm PST 
I really think he looks like Anatolian Shepherd (Kengal)/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix or Kengal/Boxer mix, personally. Does American Staffordshire Terrier show up in DNA tests, that's about as close to the APBT as you're going to get if they only do AKC-registerable breeds.
[notify]
Peanut

Will work for- food

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 10:45pm PST 
Everyone looks at Peanut and says "Pit Bull"!

We think she's a mix because we didn't think she looked like a typical pittie and we have no background info on her. She very well may be all pit bull.
[notify]
Karu

Misbehaved Mutt

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 12:11am PST 
I talked to a customer service person at the DNA test lab, they do not test for pitbull or Am Staff(they claim the bloodlines are too unstable). If he is mixed with that the test will read the closest possible match, she said in the case of pits it is normally bull terrier or boston terrier. I'm pretty sure if his test comes back 50% boston terrier its safe to assume thats really pit. Hes really tiny for a rottie mix, the only reason I rule it out. I've had people feel his muscles in his jaws with experience with pitbulls and are convinced hes part pit. And hes got the ears for it. Though his legs look all boxer to me and hes got the very lean frame of a boxer. However he does not have the board and deep chest and very short fur. His fur is very hard on his back, short but not boxer short, longer on his neck. It is not a water proof coat like a labs. I cant help but think there must have been a reason to dock his tail, if simply to make him look cool, I can't see them doing this unless he was mixed with something they thought would look good without a tail. I feel like I'm playing a jigsaw puzzle trying to fit the pieces together. I'm still locking my vote in with pitbull/boxer/lab. I can't wait to get the test results to see if I am right.
[notify]
Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 9:26pm PST 
Well, just like with humans; just because a dog is mixed with something doesn't mean it's gonna show up in his appearance. ;]

I'm posting as Sakura to prove my point; but this is Sandy's daddy, too. laugh out loud

Sakura is mixed with Australian shepherd. We know for a fact as we know both her parents. Look at her pictures. Can you honestly tell? No, right?

So, your dog could have breeds in him you'd never even fathom. ;]

I'm still stuck on that he has some shepherd in him. And, small for a rottie mix? Maybe. but, I met a rottie mix that was only 30 lbs. She had pit bull in her, too. wink
[notify]
Karu

Misbehaved Mutt

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 3:25pm PST 
Test results are in...they only detected one breed and that was Rottweiler. He tested at over 75% rott and couldn't find any other breeds present. Which means either hes purebred(which hes not), or the breed was not present in their identified breeds list, http://biopetvetlab.com/dnabreeds.htm, or its such a large amount of breeds mixed together that they couldn't be determined.
Its been bitter sweet, I'll probably never know 100% but at least I know 75%.
Anybody thinking a rottie/pit mix possible?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2