GO!

Very Protective Adult Akita, what should I do??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Skyy

Skyy- Puppy For Life

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 7:09pm PST 
My 7 year old akita/ lab mix Skyy is very protective of my mom and certain areas of her home.
I've always heard it's a breed thing, however I'm not sure if that's to blame. She can be very anxious and doesn't like loud noises and any type of hostility aka a teenage sister and 21 year old brother who sometimes express their differences through yelling.
Skyy is a barker when she's trying to be tough. For example, when anyone enters or exits my moms house, Skyy barks. When you go to my mom's room where Skyy sleeps, she barks. Not to mention the daily mailman visits. And this brings me back to my first point. When Skyy is barking it's very aggressive and it is hard to calm her down.

I called a trainer today and it's a bit out of my price range.
HELP!
Any suggestions, ideas, stories that will help me?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 7:45am PST 
How well socialized was she? Akitas need alot of socialization from Day 1. Her protectiveness is most likely lack of regular socialization with people. I don't kinow your circumstances but if she had not met at least 100 different people in her first year (that is the bare minimum,it should be more) and has not continued to meet different people on a fairly regular basis she is behaving as I would expect. You will need to find a way to get her more socialized. I would suggest if at all possible you take her away from her territory with a willing friend,not a total stranger to the dog but someone she does not see daily either and see how she reacts,then introduce her to a wider circle of people as she tolerates them.Always on neutral ground. You may also want to consider taking her to a place like petco with a muzzle to be safe and during hours when it is not very busy.As she gets more used to the atmosphere and you feel there is no risk of her biting let her go without the muzzle and continue to expose her to more and more people. Hopefully over time with continued socialization she will become less reactive to strangers although she may always be more protective of her home and person. Our 2 are very sweet and well socialized and are fine with almost anyone off our property and even come and sit on the porch with us during trick-or -treat but do not like strangers in the house or in the yard and will alert. Akitas also do not like yelling or percieved threats to anyone they consider theirs. She will most likely always bark at your siblings when they argue. I hope this information helps. If you choose not to try socializing her now before much time passes she may and most likely will become increasingly protective and may become a bite risk. Please p-mail me if I can help in any way. Thanks,M&K's Mom
[notify]