GO!

Not Eating

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Toby, a- Rainbow- Bridge Dog

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 9:20am PST 
I adopted an approximately 8 yr. old one-owner Akita last year and he is just wonderful. I have a real problem getting him to eat his dog food, though. He's been thoroughly checked out by our wonderful vet and nothing is wrong there. Does anyone have a problem getting their Akita to eat dog food without adding anything to it like beef or chicken? I have had to try different additives like cottage cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, tuna, beef chunks, chicken, turkey. I feed him the highest quality food and my other 2 dogs don't have a problem eating it. Toby was eating it w/stew beef and juice added to it; now he doesn't want that.

Help!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 4:22pm PST 
Hi i no this is an old post and i hope that you managed to figure out why ur dog wasnt eating. Im a huge fan of the dog whisperer and remember seeing an episode with a fussy newfounland that wudnt eat dog food or cooked meats. All tthe dog needed was more exercise (around 2 hrs per day) and he cudnt wait to eat . BasicAlly the idea is that dogs should be worked before food as the drained energy leaves them hungry smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 12:58pm PST 
Guest,
Do you actually know anything about Akita's? Just curious.
[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 10:11pm PST 
Wow. Not going to touch the subject of Cesar Millan(I refuse to call him 'the Dog Whisperer'! That title belongs to Paul Owens).

As for not eating... Unless there really is an underlying issue, all dogs will eat. Put the food down, leave it for 30 minutes, then take it up. Do it again at the next feeding time. Even if he doesn't eat for a day or two, chances are he'll be happy to eat by the third morning.

Not sure if this applies to Akitas(Lobo is a mix), but I know that Lobo will go a day or two before he eats sometimes. But of course, he's also sick, and I've heard that Huskies don't always eat daily. shrug

If the dog won't eat for meals, maybe let him eat his food for training? Of course, I can't see an Akita working for common-day kibble. laugh out loud
[notify]