Close X


A Day In The Life of Conner

Adopt 08 Contest

May 6th 2008 3:53 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Adoption. What a wonderful thing to so many without a loving home or family. This is MY story:

One summer day in 2001, as I was sitting on the side of a road all alone, a cop car pulled off the road and called me to the window. I jumped up and put my front paws on the door and the nice cop patted my head and he offered me half of his lunch, which I hungrily gobbled up. The nice cop patted my head and said he had to get back to work. He drove away. I guess he thought that I belonged to someone since I was wearing a collar.

About a week and a half went by and the same cop drove by AGAIN! He saw me sitting all alone in the same spot he'd seen me before. Once again, he pulled off the road and I went and greeted him and again, he fed me half of his lunch. YUM!!!! Then he saw a lady across the street at a nearby house and he walked over to ask her if I belonged to anyone in the area. The lady told him that two weeks earlier she has observed someone throw me out of a car and speed away and that I had been there ever since.

The cop thanked the lady for the information and then he got back into his patrol car and he pulled out his cellphone and made a phone call. I was standing by the car door wagging my tail because I just felt it in my bones that something 'good' was about to happen!!!

I sat quietly and listened. I heard the cop say to whoever was on the other end of the phone: "Do you remember that dog I told you about last week? Well, he's still here and he's all skin and bones and starving to death! A lady told me that someone threw him out of a car two weeks ago." There was a pause and then the cop said, "Really! Oh baby! Thank you, I love you!!" The cop got out of his car and opened the back door and he didn't have to tell me twice to get inside!! I don't know who was OR him?

I was taken to his home, which also turned out to be MY new home!!! Once there, I was taken to the backyard where I was introduced to my new little sister Kaci, who at the time was an 8 month old Jack Russell terrier. She and I hit it off immediately and became inseparable! I was given fresh food and water. A short time lady a nice lady, who I learned is the one the cop called, arrived home. She came in the backyard and in the most gentle voice, she said, "awwwww.....poor thing." It was obvious that she was shocked to see that I was worse off than she expected when she saw that I REALLY was just skin and bones. She bent down and patted me and again in the most gentle voice she said, "you poor thing, don't worry, no one will ever hurt you again, we're your new mommy and daddy and we'll love you furrever." I licked her face and she started crying. She told daddy to go get some doggy shampoo and towel from inside the house and together they gave me a much needed bath. Mommy put a leash on me and took me inside to introduce me to some other family members I had not met yet.....THREE CATS....Cole, Kayleigh & Kassidy. Mommy was so impressed that I was very calm around them and did not attempt to chase them or anything. Then I heard her tell daddy that the next day I would have to go to a "vet" for "neutering" and "shots" (gulp!).

The very next morning, they loaded me into the SUV and with daddy driving and mommy sitting in the back with me, we went to the 'vet'. It was determined that I had heartworms and would need expensive treatment. Daddy and mommy told the vet to do whatever it took to make me healthy again and they mentioned 'neutering' again (gulp!). I had to stay overnight because of the neutering and the following week, my heartworm treatments began. I was very sick in the beginning, but after a few months, the worms were gone and I slowly started gaining weight. At that time I weighed only 38 pounds and today I am an 80 pound lap dog!!

Mommy and daddy think that I was most likely kept chained outside, because attached to my too tight, ratty collar I was found wearing, there was a broken piece of rope tied to it. Also, I am deathly afraid of thunder and I hate rain. Mommy also thinks I was kicked a time or two (maybe more often) because it has only been over the last two years that she can rub her feet on my back, without causing me to flinch in fear, when I lay near her on the floor. Although I look cautiously at her feet as she rubs them gentle on me, I trust that she will not hurt me and I no longer jump up when human feet come in contact with my body.

I was found 7 years ago and to this day both mommy & daddy look into my eyes on a regular basis and tells me how much they love me and how happy they are that I came into their lives. So often mommy tells daddy she would like to thank the %$#^&& that threw me out of a car because I've brought them more love and happiness than they can measure.

It's true what they say...... One man's trash IS another man's treasure!

I know that I was one of the lucky ones and I wish that every homeless animal could be as lucky as I was and find a furrever home.

That's MY story. It started out a little sad but like a fairy tail....I am now living happily ever after!


Leave A Comment | 1 person already has

Barked by: REDFORD (Dogster Member)

November 25th 2009 at 1:21 pm

When mom first read your story, it made her cry.
We love the happy ending, though.
We agree, you are truly a treasure, Conner.

We miss you.
Hope all are doing well.

Love to all!

May you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
3 + 0 =


Conner (Always In Our Hearts)


Family Pets

Kaci (Mommy's
Cole ~ Always
Kayleigh ~
Kassidy ~
Sweetest Angel
Brandon (Never
Maytag (aka
Tag the
Monkey -
Flying with
the Angel


(What does RSS do?)