March 10th 2011 8:09 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]
I woke the momma at 3:30 a.m. this morning because I needed to go outside. Mom was a little grumpy getting up at that time, but she donned her jacket, got on the winter boots, snapped my leash on me, and took me out.
She is glad I woke her because the Northern Lights were absolutely spectacular! She just stood there and watched as the colors changed and they danced through the night sky.
Maybe I will wake her up at 3:30 a.m. again tomorrow!
March 9th 2011 5:59 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]
Hope everyone is doing great. I have had a few pawmails wondering how I am because I haven't barked lately. Don't worry pups, I am fine.
I have been limping off and on, but now I am doing better. A few weeks ago, I was left off leash when I was down by the river and I ran up the hill (it is a very steep hill) and I was jumping through lots of heavy snow drifts. After that I started limping. I am walking much better and putting more weight on my leg when standing, but I am will be on leash with no more off leash excursions for a while.
Mom and I make quite a pair because she is limping right now too. She was shovelling snow on Monday and slipped on some ice. She didn't fall, but her foot bent funny and she now has a lump on the bottom of her foot that is making walking difficult. Don't worry about her either pups, the swelling is coming down and she is walking somewhat better today.
Yesterday she decided to elevate her foot and I laid beside her to keep her company. She was working on the outgoing taxes. No, that's not what she called it. Oh yes, she was working on the Income Taxes. Good thing we have till end of April to file, because the longer she worked on them, the more foul her mood got!
Today mom and I will take the recycling into town and the garbage to the dump. I am hoping to bark at various critters along the way.
Oh, and I am bartender of the day in the STAFU group and the drink special is the Abbylicious!
Have a great day everypup!
February 14th 2011 6:47 am
[ View A Comments (11) ]
Ode to Abby
Abbykins, how do I love thee?? Let me count the ways ...
1. I love thee agreeably - enough to put up with the aroma your fur gives off after swimming in the river, or being out in the rain, or rolling in something foul that you have come across while on our walk.
2. I love thee steadfastly - enough to have researched the surgical procedures needed to fix your leg and take along three pages of questions when we saw the specialist. To rub your sore leg when it is bothering and to hold your dish with your pills in it every morning to ensure you get your meds.
3. I love thee passionately - enough to let you lick me with the same tongue you use for various other atrocities.
4. I love thee well - despite the amazing odors you produce.
5. I love thee deeply - even though you use me as a napkin at every opportunity and I have drool marks on most of my clothes. You have literally spread dirt, fur, water and drool through every room in the house -- but you have spread a lot of sunshine and love along with it.
6. I love thee madly - despite the occasional carpet clean up needed after you devour some morsel you find outside only to discover it disagrees with you hours later.
7. I love thee constantly - despite the dog 3:00 a.m. "bladder curfew" I must now adhere to.
8. I love thee truly - despite the doggie landmines I find outside, or your desire to dig in the garden, flowerbeds etc., or desire to bring home every piece of carrion you find.
9. I love thee absolutely - because you are always ready to be my sidekick when we go for a drive, are always ecstatic to see me and you light up my day
10. I love thee gratefully - because you stay by my side and you are my confidant.
11. I love thee devotedly - more than spotless carpeting, clothing, furniture, floors, walls or vehicles.
12. I love thee bravely - enough to battle the indomitable tick. clean your fur after you roll in some digusting thing and tackle the occasional klingon on your behalf.
13. I love thee monetarily - enough to put the vet's children through college and support whatever leisure activities he may have.
14. I love thee openly - yes, I will bear any embarrassment for your furry sake.
15. I love thee totally - more than free time, excess cash or a predictable life.
February 10th 2011 6:09 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]
Pups I had another great day yesterday.
I wrote on Tuesday that mom let me go off leash. That was pawsome!
Yestereday, I went with mom when she hauled garbage to the dump. Doesn't sound interesting, you say? Well, the best part is it is a 9 mile drive down a country road. Along the road are numerous fields with cattle and horses in them. I barked in mom's ear the whole 9 miles to the dump. To change things up a bit, on the 9 mile drive back home, I whined loudly and then barked at all the critters along the way. Pawsome!
Mom's says she will let me go off leash for a bit again today. Yippee!!
February 8th 2011 1:37 pm
[ View A Comments (3) ]
I had the most pawsome afternoon, pups!
Now it is still cold here, -27C right now, but when mom got home this afternoon she took me for a walk down by the river. I love to go down by the river and especially walk on the paths that are along the riverbank. Well today when we turned down my favorite trail, mom told me to stay, and she undid my leash. At first I didn't realize what she had done so I stayed close to her, but then I realized I was free and off I went to explore.
I sniffed here and there, sampled some deer and rabbit poo (apparently I should stop doing that) and walked quite a ways. Then we left that trail and I decided I wanted to go down the trail on the otherside and we walked there for a while.
Now there are lots of trees and lots of snow along the trails, so I really can't run fast in this area, but I sure did enjoy being off leash if only for a short while. I haven't been off leash since I injured myself last September and needed surgery. I hope mom lets me do that again soon!
January 21st 2011 4:48 pm
[ View A Comments (4) ]
The Mighty Huntress and the momma are out for the evening walk. They stop so The Mighty Huntress can sniff and scratch in the snow. Suddenly, at the same time, they both see something out of the corners of their eyes. They realize it is a rabbit hopping to the compost pile.
The Mighty Huntress (still on her retractable leash due to her knee surgery) leaps into action and goes racing. The retractable leash pulls tight! Argh!!
The Mighty Huntress, who is literally at the end of her leash, and also bogged down in snow up to her belly, must watch as the bunny hops away. The Mighty Huntress looks back at the momma (who is still holding onto the other end of the leash) and sees that she is doing a face plant in the snow bank.
Run while you can Mr. Bunneh, soon enough you will be mine.
January 13th 2011 10:25 am
[ View A Comments (5) ]
Pups, thank you so much for all the birthday wishes I received yesterday. It really made my 10th birthday all that more pawsome! I had a great day with lots of pets, and treats and you all made me feel so special!!
- Otto, Sophie & Sagwa
- Scarlett, Elise, Anya
- Walker, Alexandria, Molly, Pookah and Edwina
- Bailey NWD
- Tucker, Cody, Max, Sammie, Mocha, Matilda, Jake, Megan and Maggie Frannicola
- Jarvis Davis
- Jewels, Cisco Kid and Star
- Lexi, Monnie and Angel Lexi
- The Boyzzz
- Abby CGC
- Buddy, Molly and Scooter Morris
- KJ, Rain, Kiska and Banjo
- Duke, Howard, Jessi, Simon, Kitty Kitty
- Teddy - Mr. Wiggle Butt
- Winston, Hartford, Abby, Duffy and Jordan
- Amazing Grace, Kennettas Sassy Foxie and Baby
- Austin and Doo
- Divine Miss B, Jade, Crystal, Zak, Xena, Holly, Howard Jr
- Charlie, Abbie, Toto, Teddy and Maggie
- Harley Diva Girl and Jazzi Danz'r
- Pongo, Izzy, Maxwell and Sammy
- Coco Rose, Logan Benwizzen and Puff
Thank you once again for all the wishes. You made this old girl feel special!
I apologize if I have missed anyone.
Hugs to all!!
January 4th 2011 6:36 am
[ View A Comments (6) ]
Pups, I have hit the milestone! It was 12 weeks ago that I had my surgery. The recovery phase is now supposedly complete and the rehab phase begins.
There is quite a difference in the muscle mass for the thigh on the leg I had my surgery compared to my other leg. Now, we need to start building up that muscle. Jogging is one way of doing this, but since it is winter and icey here in the Great White North, I think several more walks are in order. I will still be on my leash for quite some time when I am outside, but this doesn't prevent me from jumping over snowdrifts and "trotting" alongside mom when she tries to jog down the road. Actually, it is more like race walking, since mom tends to slip and slide on the ice also. I especially like rolling in the snow, and I find the colder it is outside, the more I like to do this. Mom really doesn't appreciate this behaviour when it is cold.
I am looking better due to the weight I have put on. Thanks for finding that great food mom! Mom also got a book of doggie treat recipes for Christmas and she has promised me she will make some for me soon. If I like them, I will post the recipes for you pups.
December 14th 2010 5:39 am
[ View A Comments (10) ]
Wow, pups! I am now at week 9 post surgery!
Guess what I started doing slowly last week? Yep, you guessed it -- stairs. At first mom was taking me up and down the stairs in the house on a very short leash. Then she started letting out the leash and, since yesterday, I have been going up and down the stairs without the leash. Now the stairs are still blocked off at the top and the bottom so I don't go racing up and down at will, but I am so happy I can follow the peeps when they go into the basement or vice versa.
Now I long for the day when I can be off leash outside. If we had a fenced yard, I could be off leash starting this week for short periods. Well, we live in the country with lots of room for me to run around, and we don't have fences. I will be on a leash outside for quite a while yet, but mom now has me on the retractable leash, so I do have more room to run.
Apparently, with the surgery I had, it takes 6-9 months for complete healing, and that is why I will be on the leash for a while longer.
My big problem this weekend was the cold. Pups, it was -33 C (-27 F) and it was cold. While doing my business outside I tried to keep my feet off the ground. I didn't even object to when mom put my snowsuit on me.
Stay warm pups!
December 10th 2010 5:56 am
[ View A Comments (3) ]
Pups, Professor Chester, as many of you know, taught a class last year about a subject near and dear to his heart -- indoor doggie toilets. With the weather getting colder he once again mentioned this in his class this week.
Now pups, we have come up with an idea. We are going to hold a rally in support of indoor doggie toilets! It will be at my place on New Year's Eve! The only thing you need to bring is all the toilet paper you can find and we will burn this at the rally. My mom will supply all the warm drinks and treats we want. The heat from the bon fire of toilet paper will keep us warm and maybe we can make smores.
Now pups, I think you all should go over and read Professor Chester's doggie diary from yesterday. In the comments section he outlines what he would want in an indoor doggie toilet, and quite frankly, it brought tears to my eyes. What a pawsome idea, Professor!!
Why should cats be able to use litter boxes, while we are relegated to having to use the back 40 or a lonely corner of the back yard if you have a small yard? No, pups, we are not talking about the Potty Patch (https://www.pottypatch.com/) but an actual room just for us.
Are we not called man's best friend, pups? Then why do we have to go outside to relieve ourselves in all sorts of weather? Do your peeps let their furless best friends go outside to relieve themselves? Of course not!
Professor Chester is looking for volunteers to help make protest signs and get songs ready.
You can sign up below or on Professor Chester's page. Please pass this on to your friends. The more the merrier.
Potty Parity for Pooches!!!!
Sort By Oldest First
(What does RSS do?)