Italian Greyhound/Jack Russell Terrier
Picture of Bella, a female Italian Greyhound/Jack Russell Terrier

Photo Comments

Home:CA  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 9 Years   Sex: Female   Weight: 11-25 lbs

My Videos [See My Video Book]

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Bella

Bella BoomBoom, Boomie, Bellissima, Bellarue, Belladonna, Bellie

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-mutt-dog rescue

February 25th 2007

Curling up on laps, giving kissies, her b.f., greeting new ppl, chasing pseudo-mice, chewing crazily on her treats, fetching squeaky ball toys, devising creative ways to escape from puppy gates, chasing cats, daily massages, playing with other puppies

being home alone, waking up early (she's a night owl), when Mom's too tired to treat train

Favorite Toy:
Squeaky balls & furry faux animals, squeaky toys, cat toys galore (even the twinkling balls), and did I mention cat toys

Favorite Food:
Orijen dry, Canidae, Nature's Variety (on a rotation diet)

Favorite Walk:
She loves hiking & off-leash dog parks, but more importantly, she lives to RUN- especially to catch flying wisps of sand at the beach!

Best Tricks:
Jumping 3x her height, fetching on command, learning commands in English, Spanish, & Korean, running faster than the bullet train!

Arrival Story:
True Story: Bella's Mom was the quintessential Papillon/Italian Greyhound mix. She was elegant, well-mannered, and sociable-- all except for one incorrigible habit which would change her fate forever--- door darting. Even the love & care of a great family was not enough to contain her free spirit. Thus, she became a teen runaway and due to her stellar good looks & charm, soon encountered a sexy young Jack Russell Terrier. Like most impressionable teen girls on the run, she fell for the ol' song and dance. Soon after she became preggers, deadbeat Dad ran for the hills, probably Hollywood where he vowed to become the next Eddie on the show, Frasier. He left her and her 5 babies behind. Luckily, a good Samaritan dropped her off with a full belly at their vet. The vet called, and whisked her away to a lovely foster home. Since then, Bella and her sibbies have received lots of TLC, played w/the foster's dog, and chased their cats. We picked Bella b/c of her uncanny resemblance to our other beloved furball, Romulus (she's the short-haired, low-maintenance version).

UPDATE: Despite some of the headaches that Bella has brought us w/her crazy antics, we've grown to love her mischievious, goofy, indelible ways. There are more stories w/Bella's name, than all the other well-behaved furbies we have- combined. @_@ She's a true character, and the happiest dog I know. Nothing EVER gets her down- EVER. She'll always be a happy-go-lucky, nothing ever upsets me kinda dog:) Bella is a very bright, high energy pup. hehe My fiance and I have only had her for about 2 wks now, but she is the most well-rounded pup either of us have ever raised. Not a day goes by when she's not alert, ready to go, and full of vim and vigor! She's agile-- a high jumper already, responds quickly to obedience training- with and w/o treats. Of course, it would be unfair of me not to mention how she's also the life of the party-- the bella of the ball if you will! She can go into any environment (mall, outdoors, bookstore) and charm the pawpants off ppl and dogs alike with her sunny, amiable disposition. People always ask us what breed she is, whether she has any sibbies, and they want to kiss her! There's not a soul out there she doesn't like-- she even smooches the vet while getting her shots. From morning till night, her little tag is always wagging. Nothing fazes or makes her nervous, whether it be loud vacuums, garbage cans, leaf blowers, children, though an occasional big dog will scare her:) Her mind runs a mile a minute, she sleeps like a baby when we drive w/no car sickness, fetches, and will be a great candidate for agility sports as an adult:) She does have an incorrigibly naughty side, however. She has escaped from 6 different puppy gates of various shapes and sizes, took 3 months to pottytrain (and a lot of sleepless nights), and enjoys a side dish of poopies (her own & Milo's) despite a premium diet, snacks, and tons of chew toys@_@. Most of all, she refuses to sleep unless she's cuddled up next to a warm living bod, usually me, and has never stopped nudging up to us to give us kissy-bites (half kissy, half love bites).

Forums Motto:
Bella Boom Boom Loves to Vroom Vroom~

The Last Forum I Posted In:
Itchy Ears (but no sign of infection)?

I've Been On Dogster Since:
May 22nd 2007 More than 9 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
Mighty Mouse-
Blind Kitten

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Bella of the Ball~

So many changes, so little time!

December 3rd 2008 9:43 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Not less than 1.5 weeks ago, Meowm and Pawps brought over Ruby. She's their friend's outdoor Lab mix, that had been formerly abused. Their friend W found Ruby sitting on his lawn one afternoon. After making earnest attempts to locate an owner w/no one claiming her, he decided to keep her. Only problem is his girlfriend is severely allergic to all animals with fur, so he kept her outside. He provided her with a good life-- a giant yard to play in, regular food and water, and vet trips for vaccines, check ups, spay surgery. It took him several years to get her to sleep inside the garage, as he was afraid she'd get cold. But she wanted to be near the family, and would always sleep next to the glass door where she could see in-- longingly...

Well Meowm and Pawps had their eye on Ruby for a long while now. Since Meowm was in her early twenties, so its been a LONG time. The only reason she couldn't adopt Ruby b/c she didn't have an indoor place herself that allowed big dogs until after she and Pawps got married and bought a house.

So soon after the landscaping in the backyard was finished, they brought Ruby over. Her former owner loved her, but just didn't have the time or energy to devote enough attention to her. Her physical needs were met, but not her emotional ones. Meowmy had vowed long ago to take Ruby in, so this was a long time coming. Anyways, to make a long story short, they brought her over on Friday, much to my utter delight and surprise. I'd met her before, but I was overjoyed that she was coming to visit my house. At first, she was very hesitant to come inside. She kept looking at the screen door, b/c she'd been taught not to come through it. She also came relatively potty-trained, and when taken outside, immediately went potty without much prompting.

After a few days, she was already sleeping on her new bed with me, and horsing around with me all day and night. Little did they know she really loves to play, so she makes a wonderful playmate for me. When Meowm comes home late from work, I'm already pooped-- and that's pretty hard to do with a JRT mix like me with seemingly boundless energy.

Its been almost 2 weeks now, and Ruby has made such strides. She used to never like treats, but now she gobbles them wholeheartedly. Any changes in even her food bowl would cause her to not eat, but she has adjusted quickly to a new food and water bowl with running water, as well as her new bed, her new home, and new family. She has been an angel towards the kitties, and they got used to her within about 20 minutes. There was never any hissing, restraining-- nothing. She was perfect, and still is to this day. She wishes she could play with them, but has never even pawed at them for their attention. So they really love her, and seem to enjoy her company.

And its only been a month or so since most of our health problems went away. Meowm says with 4 furbies, if its not one furbie, than another one is sick. The current issue is with my feet-- I keep chewing on my back paws, and there are some red spots. She's been applying hydrocortisone but is going to have to take me to the vet soon if something doesn't change. She's tried getting me off evo beef but is thinking maybe she should migrate to venison instead of chicken and turkey.Hmm...

Meowm was kinda harsh on me for a little while. I kept being naughty, and trying to get under her skin. She of course forgave me within a minute or so, as she would always say she could never stay mad at me b/c I don't respond negatively to much of anything-- not even being reprimanded for my actions. hehe She's been giving me more attention as usual, now that Chabifa is feeling better. She still loves to hug and kiss me, and let me jump towards her knee so she can give me a human hug. She still accepts my kisses, and lets me lick her nose (and mouth) when Dad's not looking. hehehe I have been getting so much playtime with Ruby, that I'm pooped at night (always a good thing for M and D). I also get along fabulously with Tabifa, our new kitten. She comes and sidles up to me, and then plops down to sleep right next to me. She even licks me like Milo does (damn I'm popular with the kittens). I don't really bug her to play as I do with Milo, but I do enjoy her snuggles, and we share cuddletime on the different pet beds, and on the many soft couches and human beds together. She's a real sweetheart, and I've always loved kitties, but she is one of my favorites (along with Milo, my brother of course. Tabifa is more like the little sister I never had). Meowm has been good about giving all of us enough attention and love...


Bella Boom Boom~

October 25th 2008 7:22 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom took me to the dog park this Saturday afternoon, and we had fun. There were some well-behaved dogs, none of which bugged me too much like they usually do. I got to run around, smell lots of poop from different dogs, and meet some nice, older pups. There weren't too many little guys, but I did meet one JRT/daschund mix that was super cute. Dad couldn't come b/c he had to work today. Lately, he's been busy with work on weekends, though last weekend was a welcome reprieve.

Mom and Dad get upset with me, b/c they oftentimes come home to destroyed toys, plastic, pens, etc. They don't care so much about the toys or the pens, but rather, they don't want me to ingest something sharp or harmful, and end up dead. Sometimes, they say I am no different than a reckless 2 year old who doesn't know the dangers that exist out there. They do their best to remove from my grasp, all things that I can get my paws and mouth into, but even so, I have a way of getting into things (like eating the moss from the new faux plant they got and then throwing it up all over the house or eating cat poo even though it was barricaded).

So the past two weeks, due to Tabitha's condition and also my own bad behaviors, she hasn't been as lovey dovey to me as she normally is. She still cuddles with me ,but she has had to scold me more times than I'd like, b/c I've been so naughty. That, plus she's had long days at work, and has been really exhausted from work and the long commutes. She hopes things get better as she gets more sleep, and she is done studying for this stupid license exam that will be done in one month from now.

Thankfully, Ruby, our friend's Lab who has been living outside all this time, will be adopted by M and D in a few weeks. They will bring her indoors, and she will become a part of our family. They are doing it for her, b/c she's been living outside, and no amount of coaxing could get his owner to change his mind. They're going to prepare for her arrival, and hope that she will become best buds with me. I have already met her several times, and really like her a lot. She's a bigger dog than me, but she's so gentle. She would've been a great Mom, she's always been so good to the little ones-- me, Rommie, even the foster pups. They hope I will feel more balanced when she comes into our home, and that I'll always have a friend during the day when they're gone.

Mom has been paying more attention to Tabifa, as she has been the most sick of us 3 lately. Mom and Dad found tapeworms in her poop last Saturday, when she had an accident and went on my bed! Ick! Well, normally I eat cat poo when I can, but they found it in the nick of time. They found a bunch of white, wiggling worms in her poo. Mom was in shock, she screamed like a little girl. Dad cleaned it up, and we all got shipped to the vet the very next day. The vet gave us all a shot, and Tabitha got her microchip so we now ALL have our chips in place. hehe

I am such a strange dog! At the vet, most dogs would either cower, or refuse to get their shots and be stubborn. But I was so excited to see new people, that I was wiggling the entire time I was getting my tapeworm shot! haha The vet thought it was funny b/c he said most dogs put up a show when they are about to get shots. But I don't care, as I am totally FEARLESS, sometimes downright brazen and reckless. haha But at least for vet visits, I've always been happy to meet new people, and when I come out of my carrier, I get to see new faces so that makes me happy. It reminded Mom of my truly jovial, optimistic nature--- nothing can get me down, not even painful shots!

I take my job as Deputy Bella seriously, so I've been protecting the house, and also the 2 furbies in my care (Milo and Tabifa). We got a new alarm system for extra protection, as Mom wants us protected in a fire, burglary, etc. I tend to hear things from really far away, but I love my family, so I make a great Deputy, so Mon and Pawps say. I even get those funny shackles and my fur raises to make me look like a little punk dog-- don't mess with me or my house or family members!

Mom decided this Friday, that its not fair for her to be so hard on me lately. She has been stressed from work and studying after work, but that has nothing to do with me. Yes, I eat cat poo, yes, I eat my own poo, yes I destroy anythng and everything, but heck, I'm their daughter, so nothing's going to change that-- ever. They are dedicated to me, to provide me with a lifetime, loving home, and they know that I deserve the best, and will always provide that to me. Plus, Mom can't resist my kisses and cuddliness-- it always wins her over when she is mad at me:)


Mom is so Disappointed in herself...

October 1st 2008 9:07 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom and Pawps took in a foster dog, that was one of the puppies they fostered. She came back b/c she was aggressive towards the owner's housekeeper, and they refused to take her to a behaviorist (free of charge provided by the rescue) and just decided to have her PTS. We stepped in, thinking it would be a short-term solution. Its week 2.5, almost done with week 3, and Mom and Pawps have had a tough time taking the time to exercise her as much as she needs. They've taken turns taking her out at night for a joh/walk, and Mom tried to get up at 5:30 a.m or earlier to walk/jog her. After the first week though, Mom's energy petered out, and she couldn't get up every day. It dwindled to a couple mornings she was able to get up this early. Pawps then took over, and started rollerblading with her at night, b/c Mom was so tired. I'd like to mention here that Mom works 12 hour days, plus has a long 2 hour commute to Los Angeles and back. She is exhausted at the end of the day, and waking up even earlier than usual before the crack of dawn took its toll. She couldn't stay awake at work, for one. Second, she kept falling asleep and nodding off on the way home. Poor Dad picked up the slack, and was exhausted in the middle of deadlines, walking and rollerblading with her. They even tried to bring her indoors in the crate as the trainer said, but it didn't work because Milo and Tabifa got totally freaked out. Well, Milo showed no signs of upset, until he came down with the worst cold ever. He had dripping oozy spit, drool, a really runny nose, he couldn't breathe and his eyes were also oozing. We had to take him to the vet after nearly a week of isolation, and no improvement. He was put on Clavomax, and Grandpaw had to come by to take him to the vet. He is still sick, and its been nearly 2 weeks. Thats why they haven't been able to bring Coco back inside when we are sleeping, or during the day. Mom and Pawps really wanted to, but they're afriad that the other kitten, Tabifa, will also get sick, or Milo will get even worse. At one point they thought Milo had somehow contracted latent FeLV or something worse.

In any event, Mom and Dad emailed the rescue, and let them know that they would need to find a new foster home. They'd been working with 2 of the core volunteers, who'd offered to help walk her during the day. They even helped bring over a dog run, and also a treadmill we intended to use on her. But for some odd reason the emails from the trainer kept on getting delayed, and Mom didn't hear back via phone either. By that time, the trainer/behaviorist was too busy, and so a week went by without being able to train her on the treadmill.

So it looks like they are going to take her tomorrow to a different foster home. Mom feels like she gave up on Coco, and the last few days while Pawps was on a business trip, she was determined to walk and run with her, to get her up to speed, and get out all that nervous energy. She feels so bad that this happened.

But when she sent the email, alerting the rescue that they would need to soon find a foster home, the core volunteer couple freaked out, and said some very mean things to M&P, chastizing them, as though they were the original owners, and blaming them if Coco were to bite again. As IF! Pawps was especially mad, b/c we are doing our best for the foster, under the circumstances. The only reason we took her in, was b/c there was no other choice. Either we had to take her in, or she would be euthanized without a proper evaluation.

So now the 2 core rescue volunteers are upset with us. I do feel bad about not using the dog run, but Pawps did not have the time to go and find the tarp to cover it. Its also really hot during the day, and there was also the danger that she would dig right through the soft soil, as their backyard is totally made of dirt.

Mom feels so guilty. She didn't want to give up on Coco, and even contemplates keeping her for the next couple weeks until the main volunteer returns from her vacation. However, it looks like the rescue would be annoyed if Mom and Dad decided to keep her for another few weeks.

Mom is about to start a new practice, and needs to start studying for the real estate broker's examination in less than 6 weeks. She's got a full time job, with long hours, and a long commute. She's also got her family to take care of, her husband and 3 furbies, AND she is helping her Dad adopt out 3 more kittens he rescued from the colony. She told him not to keep on going back there, but he wouldn't listen. So now she's stuck, screening applicants, posting on Craigslist, and trying to find a new owner for these remaining kittens. They are still really shy, so she doesn't know how they're going to do in homes, as my Dad can't take them out of the crate b/c of Lola, his FeLV positive kitten.

Anyways, she doesn't know what to do. she doesn't want to give up on Coco, but the rescue will balk at M and D if they don't agree to give Coco to the new foster. They're afraid she will bite or be anxious, b/c she's been sitting in the garage all day. Poor thing..This was not what M and D had intended.

But Mom is soo tired. She passed out when she came back early for once today. She almost didn't wake up in time for the late evening adoption, had to get all the forms ready, and get dressed again. Adoptions are so draining...

See all diary entries for Bella