Close X


Life Of The Baby Girl

I Had An Allergic Reaction!

June 25th 2008 9:29 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Tiny T-Bone treats to all. It is Roxy (dog)!

Mama and I spent the week-end with our friends Bev and Bitsey, helping her clean up from the recent flood. Mama's old hometown is sure a mess. We would like to say again, any fur's family that can, to please donate to the American Red Cross and earmark the donation for the Indiana floods. The Red Cross has done so much for the people who lost so much.

Bev's backyard still has some flood water in it standing in little pools. There is no way to get rid of it. It is really, really nasty and smelly. Mama never in a million years thought I would get in it. Afterall, I don't even like to go out in the rain! Welllll...I rolled in it. Yes, I did, I rolled in it. I don't know what made me do it! I was covered from head to tail (what little tail I have) in smelly black slime!!! Mama freaked! Not a pretty picture!! I had to be washed 3 times to get clean and get rid of the smell. And all the while, Mama was telling me just what she thought of my little escapade.

The next morning, Mama noticed I had broken out in hives and I felt hot all over. I just wasn't acting my usual energetic self either. So off to the emergency vet I went. He said I had a fever and I was having an allergic reaction to something. He wanted to know if I'd eaten anything different. Well, noooo, just maybe nasty, slimey, stinky, flood water. Even if I hadn't swallowed any, I sure had been covered in it. The vet said that probably did it. No one knew what all was in that nasty stuff!

So I had to get 2 shots. I wasn't too happy with that, but Mama said I had brought it on myself and to be good! I had to have alcohol sprayed on my paws, (who knew that would help bring down my fever?) and then sit for half an hour with cold packs on my back, to make sure I didn't have a reaction to the shots!! Wow! Then for the next 24 hours, I had to have the alcohol spray every hour and cold packs on and off every so often. Mama also had to get me kid's Benedryl, and I take it from a syringe every 6 hours.

My fever went away after about 26 hours, but I still have some hives. They are going away now too. I still take the Benedryl for 1 more day. I'm happy to report that I am taking my medicine really well and I'm back to my old self. So I'm saying all's well that ends well. Mama is saying I had better have learned my lesson!

We have to say a sad good-bye to Chico. He was Bev's nephew's Lab. Poor Chico drowned in the flood. Chad was at work when the flood came and Chico was home alone. I had played with Chico many times in Bev's backyard. At first I was afraid of him because he was so much bigger than me. But he was very gentle and Chico, Bitsey and I used to play chase all over the yard. Bitsey and I sometimes ganged up on him for a game of tug of war. He was great fun. We will miss you big boy.


Leave a Comment

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
8 + 2 =




(What does RSS do?)