Close X


Mia's Memoirs

(Page 9 of 21: Viewing Diary Entry 81 to 90)  
[First 10 Diary Entries] Page Links:  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  [Last 10 Diary Entries]  

Prayers for Chiquita

November 17th 2012 8:48 am
[ View A Comments (5) ]

My grandma called me today and asked if I could post a prayer request for her friend's little Chihuahua named Chiquita.

Chiquita has been losing weight and a couple days ago had to go to Purdue University to find out what is going on. She is in very serious condition, several of her organs are starting to fail. It seems she ate the tainted Waggin Train chicken treats :(

My heart breaks for anyone who buys a treat they think will be enjoyable for their pet just to have it cause serious harm. Chiquita is fighting for her life, the University is giving her a 50/50 chance.

Please pray for Chiquita and please pray that tainted pet products NEVER EVER reach the store shelves again. Too much heartbreak and sorrow



New pics

November 16th 2012 10:45 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Added a few new pics today.

Mom is quite pleased with my outward appearance lately. I have been looking and acting more normal. This is just what the doctor ordered! I will see the cardiologist in a few days and see what he thinks but mom and dad are happy to see me doing much better. Pawsonally, I think the food from the feeding tube is helping tremendously for my body to recover. I still am not eating great but I pick here and there. I even got chicken that was grilled especially for me yesterday. I ate about 1/3 of it. Not great but not bad.

Anyway, thank you all again for all the prayers. They are heard. It is so great to be somewhat back to normal.

Oh, and happy birthday daddy! Today is my daddy's b-day :)



Happy Birthday Tara

November 13th 2012 11:36 am
[ View A Comments (3) ]

Happy Birthday to my angel sister Tara. When I was adopted, Tara took me under her care. I really loved her and looked up to her for the 2 1/2 years we got to spend together. I remember when she passed away, I was inconsolable. I didn't want to eat or even go out to potty. After a week or so, I realized she wasn't coming back and started to take on the roll of Queen. It was big shoes to fill but I hope I am doing her proud. She is now watching over me with all the other angels. I feel blanketed with the tender loving wings of my angel family and friends. It has been a blessing this past month and a half.

Happy Birthday Tara! You were the best big sister.


PS- I'll add a pic of us from 2006


It's been a few days

November 12th 2012 1:02 pm
[ View A Comments (8) ]

Well, it has been a few days since I was last online. Taking care of Mia is like having a newborn baby again. Not getting a lot of sleep these days.

She continues to be doing better every day. There is still the issue with the slightly elevated respiratory rate and the lack of appetite. I'm really glad she tolerated the surgery for the feeding tube because it is her lifeline.

Mia will eat well if and only if I can figure out what she wants for the day. What she eats one day she probably won't eat again any time soon. Lately she is turning her nose up at roast beef and chicken. She is still slightly interested in the turkey hot dogs and the other day she enjoyed some baked pork chops. We try to give her whatever we are having and hope she will eat some. It usually works out pretty good. On days when she does eat fairly well, we can cut back on one of her feeding tube times.

Next Tuesday, the 20th, she goes back to see the cardiologist. This will be the first time they have seen her since sporting the new hairdo. It was necessary and it has made all the difference in the world with her feeding port. No more tangled hair around the tube. Her port looks great now, too.

There are still a few things I wish she would improve on but her overall appearance and attitude are looking great.


Since Sunday

November 7th 2012 2:58 pm
[ View A Comments (12) ]

What a difference a few days can make!

Sunday was terrible, Mia's rate was really high and she had no appetite.

Monday was a little better. No real appetite but nibbled on a couple things. Rate was 20's - 30's.

Tuesday was better yet. Port looks good and slight appetite.

Today is quite good! Mia just looks better today. Rate is still fluctuating a bit in the 20's - upper 30's but she is bright eyed today. She looks so good today that we even managed to get some more much needed grooming done. The very best part though is the fact we were able to completely skip her 4PM tube feeding because she ate an ENTIRE turkey hot dog. Initially I only cut up half and warmed it up but she actually gobbled it up and looked for more. I then went and cut up the second half and she only ate a bit. I worked more on some grooming and an hour later offered her the rest again and this time she finished it all. It was just eating but she seemed hungry!! Tears welled up. Even when she ate here and there before the feeding tube she didn't seem to enjoy it. Today she seemed to really enjoy eating. Also, with the feeding tube, I think she is starting to gain back at least a tiny bit of weight. She is still frail but doesn't seem quite as frail as a week ago.

We still don't know what happened on Sunday but I think Buttercup was probably right in that pain was causing the high respiratory rate. I think once she threw up she actually felt a bit better since that was when the rate started to go down.

Mia has had a few decent days since this all started on October 1st but I can honestly say that I believe today is her best day yet.


Morning pupdate

November 5th 2012 7:25 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Yesterday was seriously scary. Mia's respiratory rate bounced around like a ping pong ball. It was changing anywhere from the 30's to the upper 50's. She was given a small amount of extra lasix during both her Sunday medication times. It didn't seem to make much of a difference until today. This morning she woke up with a rate of 24. She had such a rough night though with a rate creeping near 60. At one point she got up and got a drink of water then proceeded to vomit it all up. It was at that point her rate actually started to drop. It could just be coincidence but she seemed more comfortable after that and we both got a little sleep.

I called the cardiology department this morning and spoke with the lead vet tech and she wants me to continue giving her the extra 1/4 tablet of lasix today and call her back this afternoon to let her know if the rate continues to stay steady at it's current rate or if it starts to rise again when she wakes up and moves around a bit. She said such a significant jump usually indicates CHF but she is baffled that Mia's rate is now back to 24 with only a small amount of extra lasix. I'm praying it stays steady at its current rate.


Elevated respiratory rate

November 4th 2012 7:52 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]

Mia's respiratory rate has over doubled overnight. She was in the normal upper teens to low 20's and currently is in the upper 40's to low 50's.

I'm petrified she may be back in CHF but I am holding on to hope that once she gets her morning lasix in a few minutes that it will lower.

She could certainly use a few prayers. The last couple days have been the best she has had for a few weeks. The port was healing and she was eating a little bit of food. For the life of me I cannot understand why this keeps happening. Every time she gets a bit better, something worse happens.

I'll post a little later if the lasix starts working. If it doesn't we may be taking another trip to the U of M.



I got pressies today and ice cream

November 2nd 2012 9:51 pm
[ View A Comments (5) ]

Mommy and daddy bought me two new onesies today! They are actually for babies but they are long and cover my body better to secure the feeding tube. They used to be long sleeved but mom cut off the sleeves so it would fit me better. She said it was adorable. They also bought me a toy and some buddy biscuits. Hopefully I will find interest in them soon. I do have to share the biscuits but that really isn't an issue since I'm not totally interested in food at the moment. There is one thing that I ate today though and that was vanilla ice cream. It was super yummy and I ate quite a few bites! Pawrents know it isn't the best food to be eating but I wanted it and really enjoyed it. They have to take what they get. BOL! Also, my last wrap change around my feeding port was dry. The oozing is subsiding and that is great news. Just this morning it was pretty yucky.

November is starting out much better than October!!!

BTW - I did get a hair cut. Mom used a guide to cut it 1 1/2" on the body and chest. She left the legs and head. I at least have a little length and so far no issues with it reaching the port. She did cut the port side hair shorter. It's a bit choppy but it's functional. :)



Goodbye hair :(

November 1st 2012 10:49 am
[ View A Comments (6) ]

It's going, probably soon.

The hair just keeps interfering with the feeding port. There hasn't been a way to manage both and with needing a shirt on at all times to hold up the feeding tube, the family decided we have to let it go. Apparently I don't have a say. They are going to try and save the head and legs and just clip the torso.

When I was found, I was shaved down but that has been so long ago. I have had long hair quite some time now so it will be different to have to change. I do think it is posing an issue right now so I guess it will have to be that way. I just wish it wasn't going into winter :(

On the plus side, I took one itty bitty bite of chicken today. Hardly a milestone or anything but it was something. I walked away from the rest. The piggy boys ate it all. Mom was happy enough to see me take a nibble though. It is the first solid piece of food I have eaten in about a week. I obviously still don't have an appetite but maybe that is a sign of things to come.



Today's pupdate and Happy Halloween

October 31st 2012 7:32 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]

I was a bad girl. Started licking through my shirt and tangled up some fur by my surgical port. Mom had to cut away the tangled fur but the skin below looks like it may be starting to get infected. I have an appointment this afternoon to see the vet tech so she can evaluate it. It shouldn't be too serious, just another bump in the road. I just couldn't help myself.

In the meantime, mom put my winter jacket on over my shirt so I can't do it again. Even if I lick my jacket, it is waterproof so it won't get through. She's a tricky one.

I don't expect this to be a serious problem, just an inconvenience we have to work through. I think everyone knows my name now at the U

Have a Happy Halloween. Boo to you all


  Sort By Oldest First

Mia Muah! Kisses from Heaven


Family Pets

Teddy CGC
Tara -Forever
Chester, A
Springer Angel
Bruno -In
loving memory
Angel Yuki
Sandi (heart
The MN Gang
Heaven's Angel
Mei Li
Salad - AKA


(What does RSS do?)