Close X


"Life of Rilie"

How I came to the Rainbow Bridge

December 29th 2007 9:05 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for my family.

I will share my story, know that the decision was not taken lightly and it was the only option.

After showing signs of sickness for a few months, on Wednesday the 26th I did the ultimate naughty. My humans and their good friends were celebrating the holiday, exchanging gifts and having a meal. These friends come over all the time, the female babysits my furless siblings, so I am very familiar with them and their two furless kids.

I had been sleeping most of the evening, which has in the last couple months become the usual, I gained about 9 lbs too, never wanted to be outside longer that it took to pee or poop, and for the first time in my 8 and a half years, I was drooling, I also was NEVER relaxed anymore, always tense, on edge and jumpy, even pulling away from my Moms loving touch. Mom knew I was sick and took me a few weeks ago for a senior blood panel and check up, but nothing showed up. They checked thyroid and everything. Now you have to know me, I HATE going to the vet, its traumatic for me even just to set paw in the door. So when I did my naughty, Mom knew there was no choice but to send me to the bridge before I suffered more or hurt any human seriously.

Anyhowl, I was standing in the livingroom, watching the goings on. The friends little furless (he is 2) went to walk by me. I remember when he was learning to walk, I used to help steady him. He would return the favor by sharing whatever food he was eating. When I was well I would never have hurt anyone, but lately I have been feeling so awful.

I lashed out as he walked by and bit him right in the face, no warning growl, no teeth bared, and nothing he did prompted it. He has 4 punctures, I just missed his eye. No stitches were needed. And he isn't afraid of doggies, just wondering why it happend.

Mom knows I would never have done it if something wasn't wrong with me, and she knew I would not do well with lots of vets poking me with needles and running tests. She and the furless kids and Daddy all talked and tearfully agreed that the nicest thing for everyone involved was for me to peacefully go to the Rainbow Bridge. This way the furless kids would remember the good years, and not a few months of sick me, or be afraid that I would bite them next. Because of my breed mix, we would have been horribly persecuted if I had bitten again, thankfully Mom's friends are nice and not lawsuit-happy like some humans are.

I was very much loved, and will always be remembered.
Know that it was the hardest thing Mom ever did, to let me go.
Mom stayed with me, scratched my favorite spot and took my vet muzzle off before the final injection. She kissed my forehead goodbye, and was glad I finally was able to relax.

Rilie, Furangel


Leave a Comment

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
8 + 8 =


Rilie D. Maverick *12/26/07*


Family Pets

Peppered Jelly
Belly Bean,
Celestial Sr
Issac Newton,
Little Ember
Pearl, CL-1,
CL3-H, CL2-S,
Captain Jack
Sparrow, NPC
The Weenigos,
*CCDR Fosters
Pirate Puppies
Ghost of Sioux
The Blue Crab
C-ATCH Neptune
**Devens, Ma
Little Pippa


(What does RSS do?)