Close X


Homer's Diary

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing Diary Entry 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Surgery today

March 28th 2006 8:11 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I woke up this morning and - no breakfast - so I knew that something was up. Mom put the leash on me and we went for a ride. I always like to go for a ride, but when we got to the end of the ride I was at the Vet's office. Mom left me there and I wasn't too happy about it. I heard some talk and I think I am having surgery for a torn CCL - the traditional 'extracapsular stabilization' surgery. Mom is concerned about what to expect and do during recovery - but she has gotten some great advice from the Dogster Forums! I will let everyone know how the surgery went after I get home tomorrow. The surgeon is sure I am going to do just fine, but Mom is pretty worried, I can tell. Keep me in your thoughts today.


Home from surgery!

March 29th 2006 8:43 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well - I came home today. I look pretty weird - my backside is shaved, I'm wearing a tape bandage around my belly to hold the pain patches in place, and my back leg is shaved and stitched up. No walking off leash for me (except in the house) through the end of July, so I won't be spending much time in the country this summer. I am a bit goofy from the medication, but happy to be home. My sister Sophie won't leave me alone, so Mom put gates up to separate us. Sophie can't stand it, but I need my rest and expect I'll just be laying around for awhile.


Recovery - a little better

March 31st 2006 11:56 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well - I'm feeling a little better everyday. I think it helps that the weather is so nice - over 70 in Buffalo and sunny - so I spent about 15 minutes walking and sniffing around in the sunshine. I am exhausted now and will probably sleep the rest of the day. My appetite is back, and I spent some time this morning chewing on a marrow bone, which gave me a little relief from being bored. I can't go up the stairs yet, even though I want to, but I'll probably try soon.


Feeling pretty good!

April 3rd 2006 7:36 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well - I made it all the way around the block this weekend! I even touched my foot down once on the walk to test it out. I know I am not ready to walk on it yet, but I am moving it a little! My appetite has fully recovered, but my people are trying to keep my intake down so I don't gain any weight during my recovery. The vet said that keeping me at a trim 70 pounds is the best thing we can do for my arthritis. I am eating healthy snacks - my favorite is raw carrots, and I have been chewing on some good marrow bones. I haven't attempted stairs yet, but I have been standing at the bottom of the stairs and thinking about it! I may try to go up tonight. The weather has been nice here, and that has certainly helped my spirits.


Still healing!

April 5th 2006 8:26 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, I touched my foot down gingerly a couple of times today. I have also been stretching that leg out a bit and I think it is feeling good. My mom is trying to keep me from being too active. I brought her the ball a few times but she won't throw it to me - she only rolls it a little. It will be hard for me to believe that my fetching and frisbee days are over. I have been enjoying peanut butter filled bones, though. My stitches look like they are healing nicely - there is no bruising or redness left around the wound. They come out on Monday and that will be my first car ride since surgery - even though it is to the vet, I'll be happy to be along for the ride.



April 26th 2006 11:34 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, I was doing pretty well and had begun to really use my leg again. Mom was having trouble keeping me quiet and I was trying my best to wrestle with my sister Sophie, then Mom noticed a big egg appearing on my knee. I think it is a 'seroma' and I have to take a ride to the vet to have it looked at tonight. Hopefully, he'll be able to help.



May 3rd 2006 7:25 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well - Mom has been taking me for acupuncture treatment in Orchard Park to help with my recovery from traditional CCL repair. The doctor said I am the perfect patient (did you expect anything else?). I have had two treatments and I am down to half my dose of Rimadyl now. After the first treatment, I was pretty sleepy for the next day, but after that I began to bear all of my weight on my repaired leg and I have been wanting to go for walks all the time. When I went for my second treatment, I laid right down on the blanket and couldn't wait for the treatment. I slept through it blissfully, even though there was a cat meowing on the other side of the exam room door! I am kind of sleepy today - one day after the treatment - but am feeling really good. Thanks to Dr. Amioka for the treatment!!!


Better every day!

May 31st 2006 10:40 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I am feeling better than I have in years. I am walking with no trace of a limp and I have been swimming a few times. I haven't been stiff or sore after exercise or after lying down and I am off my medication completely now. I can't run yet - vet's orders - but I want to run!! My traditional CCL surgery went great and my recovery has been fantastic. Thanks to everyone who sent me good wishes. The only thing I do want is for my fur to grow back soon....


My other leg

August 15th 2006 6:44 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, I am now having some trouble with my "good" leg. I think the ligament is tearing and the vet said no surgery for now, but probably in the future. I am moving a little slower in the mornings and the hot summer days are bothering me a bit. My mom is trying turmeric in my diet; I take glucosamine supplements every day, and ascriptin when I am in a lot of pain. I am getting some acupuncture rteatments and they do help. I feel pretty good after the treatments. I can't run like I used to, and I will never be able to chase the squirrels again, but I still run like the wind in my dreams.


My Tail of Devotion for Homer Clement Johnson

September 17th 2006 11:24 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

The minute we met I knew you were destined to be my dog. You were with all your brother and sister puppies and you looked so small and you smelled terrible and you had a terrible case of mange, but in your eyes all I could see was love and all I felt was love for you. I took you home and slept by your side with my hand in your little cardboard box the first three nights. You never wanted to leave my side. I couldn't figure out why the rest of the family didn't want to walk you, until I realized that you wouldn't go if I wasn't there. You always wanted to be home and Homer is the name that suits you best. You are the best dog in the whole wide world and I tell you that everyday. I have been so blessed to have you in my life and I will always be faithfully devoted to you, as you are to me.

This is a special Tail of Devotion

See All Tails of Devotion

  Sort By Newest First

Homer - RIP 1998-2009


Family Pets

Sophie Sue


(What does RSS do?)