June 12th 2013 5:54 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 4 people already have ]
Last Sunday we woke up and had no Electricity!
What the hey,was goin' on????????? Gpa called the
company to see if the outage was reported. Yep, it
was....Crew was out lookin' for the problem. We were
out of juice for 5 hours! Do you have any idea how
ugly it is to see hoomans, not have their mornin'
I didn't need 'tricity to have my breakfast! Yippy!
So my breakfast was on time! It had rained again,
during the night...Gpa thought maybe all the water
was a problem???
Nope, it wasn't water....It was a crazy Raccoon!!!!
Showing off for the other wild critters! She decided
to hold a circus act,walk the powerline,like a trapeze
Somebody forget to tell the coons, that isn't a very
smartie thing, to do. She touched a bare wire and
she fried herself. She was totally toast! She took
the 'tricity out for a whole neighborhood. So much
for showin' off for the other critters...
They fixed the mess she made and we had our power
back. It figures,Gma was too tired to wash her
hair the night before,when she showered. They had
a benefit to go to. She had to have the power to
look pretty to go visit. What? Yeah, I thought it
was crazy too! I don't wash my fur to go visit!
Now this mornin' the electric guys came to our
house and.......... Gpa ran in and ask what she
was doing???? She was washing all those yucky
yard clothes and drying a big load of towels.
Only because it had rained yet again......
Seems the guys needed to kill the 'tricity! What
again? Coons???????? Nope! Lightening hit our
power transformer by the shop. It burnt out
some important parts. We still had power...
They shut the power off and changed the parts.
Only down about 30 minutes. But...they told
Gpa it was a good thing...the brackets that
hold the transformer were bad...The whole thing
was barely holding on...Way up on that big pole!
Whoa! That was close!
THEN GMA TOLD ME A STORY ABOUT BEFORE MY TIME:
Seems,way back in 1980,lightening blew a hole
the size of a basketball in their transformer.
The sparks ran down the wires. Burnt their big
shop and machinery building to the ground. The
fire burnt up all Gpa's tools and some small
pieces of machinery. Burnt the hoses and bulbs
on the fuel barrels. Torched a bunch of corral.
The only reason it didn't explode and burn their
house down was: the fuel barrels were filled the
day before. They were full and could expand....
The hooman kids were little and here with a sitter.
They were selling their quarter horse colts.
Two rural fire departments came to fight the fire.
It was a very long night. Gma said, she used a
flashlight to make sandwiches and snacks for them.
Someone had to be awake for a whole week. Watching
smoldering grass seed. A very big mess and took
a long time to clean up. Rebuild and buy all those
important tools once again.
Sure glad I wasn't here then... I would have been
so very afraid. Gma said, her Aunt and Uncle, 1/2
mile away came and got the kids and the sitter.
We have lots of reasons here on the prairie to be
afraid of fire and storms. In 40 yrs. They had
3 big fires and 1 tornado....All 3 did plenty
of damage. My hoomans are pretty tough prairie
stock. They picked up the pieces and moved on.
What else can you do???????? Angel Baby and
Angel Foxie were in the tornado. They were
afraid of thunderstorms,rain,hail,lightening
and all that stuff, the rest of their lives.
Leave A Comment | 4 people already have
Yikes!! Dat's some scary stuff!
Last year, lightning stuck the house behind us... and burned it to da ground. Momma had left to go to Austin about an hour and a half earlier to visit Whitley and her Momma and I went with her. Ally wuz here with da kitties, Jez and Maurice, and thought the boom sounds wuz thunderclaps... she told Daddy dat someone came and beat on da door but by the time she got to it, no one wuz there....She never knew that the house behind us wuz on fire until Daddy came home at 6 pm and saw all the fire trucks ( 7!!) and told her.
She's kinda like that... in her own lil bubble, Momma sez... Neighbor lady across the street from us said she could see flames above our house... and dat da firefighters sprayed foam on our roof...
Glad our house didn't catch fire!
They're rebuildin' dat house now... and putting lotsa lightnin' rods on it.
Yikes! Momma was telling me about an incident when she was a child and lightning hit the power pole in the yard and blew out everything. Momma and her siblings were home alone as her pawrents were in town. Besides some chickens and turkeys, all was saved, but much damage due to the septic flowing back into the house, etc.
Sure glad your house didn't catch fire.
Those raccoons - what trouble makers!
Hi pals...I hopes all the coons stay away from here! We have lightening rods on the house too.........Hopefully not too many thunderstorms this summer. The weather is still so weird! Alot of rain,shortage of sunshine,temps. all over the place.
Gma bought more flowers to plant....Said, all the rain,a good year to add some extra annuals. A few new perennials.......
Have a Great Father's Day Weekend with your DADS!!!!!!!!!
We hope to go up the road about 5 miles and take Gpa fishing and a lunch basket with on Sunday. Hope the weather co-operates for us...... Hugs,mazy