Brett Rainbow Bridge 10/11/09

Picture of Brett  Rainbow Bridge 10/11/09, a male Brittany

Photo Comments (1)Sex: Male

Photo Comments

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments (2)

Photo Comments (1)

   Leave a bone for Brett Rainbow Bridge 10/11/09


Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
He loved to play and wrestle with queen in the yard

Other dogs walking by the house

Favorite Toy:
A little stuff animal

Favorite Food:

Favorite Walk:
To the pond with his mom and queen

Best Tricks:
dancing on his rear legs for peanut butter

Arrival Story:
Brett came to us In June of 1999 from American Brittany Rescue. He as somewhere between 8-12 mos old at the time. He was emaciated, having been discarded by someone in the fields outside of Sacramento Ca. We were looking for a companion for our at that time 1.5 YO female Brittany Queen

We found out the day after adopting Brett that he was extremely dog agressive and had been returned to ABR at least once before. What ever happened to this good sole before he was abandoned surely tramutized him. We decided we just could not return him to ABR as that would surely be the end of the line. For the next few years we worked with mutiple trainners, ever taking him to the University California at Davis for behavior evaluation. In the end we realized that we would just need to limit where we could take him and walk him. Other than that he was the most loving and loyal dog you can imagine. My daughter said right after his passing last month that Brett saw his job as protecting us and Queen. He really was a big baby. Brett first got sick last January with a large amount of discharge from his nose. We took him that day to the vet who over the next two months tried various anti-biodics, Antihistamines and final did a nasal biopshy for fungal infection, which came back negative. She diagnoised his with Chronic Old age Idiopathic Rhinitis. Which just means that some dogs as they get older just get sinus problems. I felt uncomfortable with that and asked if there was anything else we could do. She referred me to the local Vet Hospital to have his nasal passages CAT scanned. We did that with additional blood tests and everything came back negative and they concurred with the initial diagonsis, but they also tried several other anti-biodics, which did no good. This was now around May and we all accepted that Brett would sneeze and discharge a lot but there was nothing to treat. Brett continued to be the happy boy always wanting to please. After the start he had in life I think he was so thankfull to have a loving home where he was a loved. He continued to get worse and I asked the vet once again if it would make sense to take him to UC Davis, were there any tests they could run there. But because she took the nasal biopshy and the CT scan came back clear along with the blood work she said it would not help. It was sad to see Brett sneaze, hack up muscus etc. Finally in September I search and found an herbalist in New Zealand who prescribed some herbal treatments to build up his immune system. I received the herbs and began treatments a few day before Brett finally collasped. On Friday Oct 1 Brett when to the Vet for his annual teeth cleaning. Because he would go under anesthisia the Vet did a full blood panel test. All came back clear. I had the vet, while he was out, flush out his nasal caviety to try to give him a few days of relief from the chronic drainage. Brett came home and was fine, then on Tuesday morning Oct 6 at 6 AM, after eating at 5 AM he began running through the house with Queen in pursuit, he was really wild. Then he collasped in a massive seizure. We rushed him to the nearest hospital 20 minutes away. He was in very bad shape and they said if we wanted to put him down they would understand. And although I would never want him to suffer, I also wanted to give him any chance for himself to survive.We had CAT scans done of his brain, all clear, we then had a spinal tap done, the first tests were coming back negative. This was now going into Thursday and althought Brett had come out of the seizures he could no use his limbs and was of course agitated. Finally the last test came in, the last test the hospital ordered because they thought it was a 1 in a million chance, and it was a Fungal Infection of the brain. I felt and still feel so bad. I knew something was wrong, but because that first biopshy came back negative in late January I dismissed this. No one explained to me that the Fungas can be hard to detect and that a biosphy could miss it. Never the less our 30 seconds of hope once we found out what it was and thinking it was treatable were quickly dashed as the vet said the treatement is brutal on the body as the fungas dies and he has a 50/50 chance or less to survive. We went ahead and started the treatment Thursday night, we saw Brett on Friday afternoon, held him, actually took him outside in a sling for a few minutes. But Friday night his body began fighting it self thinking it was under attack from the Fungas. His tempreture sored and he was placed in the CCU unit with a full time nurse. I saw him Sat and he woke up for us for a few minutes, we left when he fell asleep and came back Sat evening where he woke up and was the most coherent since getting sick. He still could not move but he could life his head, clearly could see myself and my wife, was able to eat and drink from my hand. We were able to tell him what a good boy he was over and over again and how much we loved him. We left after he fell asleep. I called the hospital every two hours up till 2 am checking on him. I started calling again at 7 am and the vet said he was holding his own, the temp was still elevated and his lung capacity had dropped from 100% to 75% as his lungs became inflamed in fighting the dieing fungus, but that he had not gotten any worse since I last saw him. 10 minutes after I hung up while I was getting dressed to go see him he went into Cardiac arrest, they revived him with CPR but he went into arrest again after about a minute. They called while doing CPR and after a short discussion we agreed it was better to let him go. I can't tell you how quiet the house is now. Brett was all boy, he "talked" to use all the time. He did not walk anywhere but trotted everywhere. You could here him all over our house as we have wood floors. Queen is a very quiet dog, she doen't really "talk" like Brett use to. Now it is just Queen and I home most of the time as I home office. I know Brett's leaving has effected her as it has both for myself and my wife. Brett was a very good boy. Whatever happened to him before we got him I don't know. But I do know he had the kindest soul when you looked into his eyes. He really was a dog that just wanted to be loved I feel so bad each day now, that I did not do enough to find his dieaese before it took him. I will carry that feeling the rest of my life

Forums Motto:
AKA Bretty Boy, sweetest boy ever!

I've Been On Dogster Since:
October 27th 2009 More than 7 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals