Daisy

Will this be wrong of me???Plz HELP

I have 2 dogs inside 1 jack/rat and 1 pound puppy I have had the J/R inside for 2 yrs and the P.P 6 months he is my husbands dog I also have a boxer outside and our yard is fincened in and big. when we leave the house we have to put them outside cals thay go to the bathroom in the house if we are not home we had decided to get a new couch and hardwood floors no matter how hard i clean dog hair is taking over. even after brushing for atleast an hr. a day and the 2 dogs play alot in the house and stuff gets broke and u can not have no quite time SO i am thinking about puting the 2 dogs outside i dont think it will matter to the pound puppy but the J/R is very attached to me. IF I DO THIS WILL IT MAKE ME A BAD PERSON AND HOW WILL IT AFFECT MY DOGS? any advice will be helpful

Asked by Daisy on May 10th 2010 Tagged goingoutside in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Well, I personally do not agree with ANY dog living outside, but I would be especially concerned about one as small as a JRT. To me, the whole point of having a dog is to enjoy their companionship and company... that's pretty hard to do when they aren't allowed in your house. NO ONE ever said that dogs weren't work. A big part of owning a dog is the responsibility to care for and provide for the dog's wellbeing... doesn't seem that it's wellbeing is going to be too great if it's stuck outside all the time, especially after having lived in the house with you. I would think a more responsible solution would be to rehome the dogs to a home where they can be inside as part of a family. If nothing else, they will be safer from any number of things such as poisoning by an irate neighbor, and they will have companionship.
I have lots of dogs and they ALL live inside with me in my house. If it came to making them live outside, I would NEVER do it, I would definitely rehome them first

It won't MAKE you a bad person, but it might reduce your dog population to one Boxer. The two small dogs may be okay with him while your home, but when you leave him in charge of the yard, he may decide they are annoying.

Teach the dogs to stay off the furniture while you are home. Crate them while you are out. If you are gone more than 7-8 hours they will need someone to give them a potty break.

No way should a 6 month old pup be loose in your house. Aside from dog hair, breakage and potty accidents, they can chew things that will kill them or fight and hurt each other. I've heard too many stories of dogs that were great pals, until one day the family comes home to a dead dog.

Small dogs are not to be left outside. Don't know where the pound puppy came from, but my 2 pound pups came with a contract stating I would not leave them outdoors.

Hector

A bad person no, just maybe not a dog person. Some people really aren't meant for pets. They are living breathing things that we invite to share our homes with. They, like kids require constant cleaning and cleaning up after. Day and night.

Some people will sacrifice material possessions to provide their pets with a warm home where they feel safe and secure. Some people prefer peace and quiet, low maintanence housekeeping, and these people will always love their "things" more than their pets and should not be pet owners.

I have 4 dogs, indoor and outdoor as they please, therefore, I am sure you could not possibly have more to clean than I do. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, so the hair drives me crazy, therefore I clean it several times a day, every day. Even though it drives me nuts, I wouldn't change my dog's way of life just to make house keeping easier for me. I made the decision to have pets, and I will stand by it through hell or highwater. They are always first.

Hector answered on 5/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Winnie Mae

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. As others have mentioned, Boxers and little dogs . . . I'm not against Boxers, nor do I have problems with any certain breed. But a dog that big, and powerful, unsupervised with two little dogs that could get very annoying . . . he may not mean to hurt/kill the little guys, but it could happen. My grandma's Boxer killed her Newf when they got into a territorial fight.

It won't make you a bad person. But you have to ask yourself--if you don't want the hair, and if the dogs aren't trained to not break things, or be quiet, do you really want all three dogs? It is a hard question to ask, but it may be the right choice to find a home for the pound puppy and/or the Boxer. If the J/R is so attached to you, I wouldn't put her outside or find a new home for her. She should stay with you :*)

Winnie Mae answered on 5/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It sounds to me your dogs need some serious training.
Housebreak them all.
Deogie sleeps on our furniture but if it bothers you, train them to stay off.
Train them calm inside/play outside. Deogie would destroy my house if we allowed him to run wild inside. He has the same rule I had for my kids, rough housing is outside fun.
Having dogs mean fur, sometimes a lot. I vacuum every day and Swifter vac numerous times. The Swifter vac works well and it's a quick clean whenever I see something on the floor. Love my lint brushes, I even have one in my car.
I think putting them outside is easiest for you but not what is best for your dogs. I'm sorry but dogs are work, throwing them outside isn't the answer. Training them is the answer.

Max (aka Sebastian)

Okay, it sounds like your dogs just need more exercise and some training. If you properly exercise your indoor dogs, they will be calmer indoors. You also need to train them, that way when they get too wild for you, tell them to go lay down (have them a spot to go to, crate, bed etc) It will take some work on your part, but if you love these dogs, you owe it to them, it's not thier fault and they won't be happy being left outside when they are always with you inside, they need thier humans. I'd suggest looking into a training class as a good first step, once they learn commands and learn to listen then you will be a happier family. But putting them outside fixes nothing. And as far as the hair, I'd suggest a shedding tool like the defurmanator this will work better then just brushing, also in your training you can teach them to stay off the couch.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

kai

I always wonder what people get out of dogs that are kept outside all the time. I would say either rehome the dogs to someone that is able to have them inside the home or if you are willing to make the sacrifices a dog requires make it easier on yourself by investing in crates and investing time in training them. spending a few months with consistent training will give you a lifelong dog to enjoy. Your little dogs need to be inside, even your bigger dog should be spending a good allotment of inside time.

kai answered on 5/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Toby

I absolutely think it would be great for them. Because they are use to being in the house though I wouldn't keep them out permantely, but would bring them in at night. Or if its snowing or raining. It might do them some good to run off all that pent up energy. Get them all together outside to play. If your yard is fenced in and big like you say they'll be in heaven!

Toby answered on 8/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

LaCoda

Im not sure why so many people have a problem with owners keeping outside dogs.. I had a few when i grew up, but i currently have two large inside dogs. As long as they are well taken care of, and not alone all the time (lots of play) then living outside is not a bad thing, Even for smaller dogs.
But sounds to me like your dogs need training and a lot of work, not just tossing them outside. That wont do anyone any good. The could start digging, or chewing at the fence, get out etc etc. And yes hun.. Dog hair comes with the dogs. If you own a Dog you are going to have dog hair no matter how you clean, Even if they are outside dogs the hair sticks to your clothes and you bring it in. Dont want hair, dont own pets.
So your options are TRAIN THEM or Get rid of them.

LaCoda answered on 4/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Molly

Ok lets take this one thing at a time. It sounds like you are having a lot of behavioral issues with you inside dogs. Dogs will be dogs but with proper training any dog can be a good house dog. What you are saying in the post is your floors and your couch are more important than training your dogs. Take them to a class. Get help with training your dogs to not do the things you dislike. I don't believe in outdoor dogs unless they serve a purpose such as guard dogs or herders. If you put the small dogs outside you are opening the door to making them prey for other animals including your boxer. Consider working with them instead of throwing them out. If you can't live with them then consider finding a home for them. My 4 large dogs live inside with me and after a little bit of training we have a happy peaceful home.

Molly answered on 6/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer