Two Questions...

I have two questions. My dog just (about 2 hours ago) got hit and killed by a driver who drove away.

1.) In Washington State if I found out who this person was or got the plates (my mother was the one there) could I have him brought up on charges for leaving? Just thought I would ask here as it is a dog site...

2.) Is it appropriate to get another dog in a few weeks? I am worried how the family will react and don't want to have to put the dog into a home because we couldn't handle it. What do other people do?

Thanks Ahead

Asked by Member 1120756 on Jul 15th 2012 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

You should consult a lawyer to answer the first part of your question. It is callous that the driver did not stop, but he/she may not be legally required to do so. Sadly, in the eyes of the law, a dog is not the same as a person. Plus, if dog was running loose, you may actually be liable for repairs to the vehicle.
Bringing in a new dog MUST only happen if ALL involved agree it is appropriate, & want the dog. It is not a decision to make unilaterally..or the dog will suffer.
I am so sorry for your loss.

I don't know what the laws are in Washington, but here in New Hampshire, you have to report it if you hit a dog. As far as getting another dog, it really should be a family decision. Sorry about your dog getting hit.

Javi

Answer to question 1)
YES! He would have commited homicide and your accident would be considered a hit and run. You can call your local animal police station and make a report. You can try the police station but they won't go as far as make a report.

Answer to question 2)
If the main person handling this new dog can handle him or her emotionally, then yes, it's not wrong to fill that hole in your heart. But if everyone looks at the new dog and starts crying or acting sad, it will be stressful on the dog as they can sense when people do not like them or are stressed. So it's really up to you. Visit the shelters multiple times and take everyone in the family. Make sure they have room in their heart to open to a new dog.

Javi answered on 7/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer