Jasmine

Too much attachment

I have a sheltie/ american eskimo rescue that is now 3 yrs old. She took a while to feel safe and has finally formed a bond with me. The past couple of months she has been getting very pushy. The last few months she has been demanding my attention by barking at me, following me, pawing at me and trying to climb on me. When I give her attention she demands more to the point where I have to command her to go. I don't like pushing her away knowing the isolation she originally exhisted in, but I can't have her constantly on me. We have a second dog three cats and a fenced yard. She gets lots of attention, playtime, chew bones..what can I do to curb her neediness without breaking her fragile spirit? She is good when left alone, not destructive at all. Well behaved otherwise, I just need a little space.

Asked by Jasmine on Jan 15th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

There is nothing wrong with giving her boundaries. She's probably just trying to push her limits. Telling her to go will not harm her. If she has already bonded with you, and you treat her kind and take good care of her, then you will not harm her spirit. Try distracting her with toys, bones or a kong filled with cheese or peanut butter. They might keep her busy for a while to give you a break. Good Luck!