Cassius

Question about prong collars?

I just my dogs (pitbull & boxer - both 4 months) a prong collar to see if it'll help them from pulling. I was wondering if its safe to let them wear it even when not on walks, like if they're outside or the dog park or we go somewhere where they can be let off the leash, or do I need to take it off everytime were not on a walk?? My main thing is that whenever they're outside or off a leash if they aren't wearing a collar with their tags on it I get paranoid they'll somehow run off & no one will be able to identify them, & I don't want to switch their tags to a regular collar everytime were at the dog park.but I will take them off when were in the house obviously.

Asked by Cassius on Jun 13th 2012 in Collars & Leashes

Answers

NO. Prongs are for training time only (and some people think they shouldn't be used even for that.) If you're going to use one, you CANNOT leave it on all the time- it's a safety hazard, and uncomfortable for the dog. Have your dog wear a second plain, flat collar to hold the tags.

Honestly though, I hate the thought of a prong on a puppy. Many people use prongs on their dogs all their lives as management, not training (because the dog never learns to walk nicely without it) and the dogs always looks stressed on walks. Please don't use one without a definite training plan.

NO. I would try a different solution before resorting to prong collars. They are still young and can learn proper leash manners without the use of painful collars. Have them wear a flat collar and a regular leash. Take one step, DO NOT MOVE! wait till he stops pulling and releases the tension on the leash. Take another step. repeat. It is best to do this one dog at a time. In the beginning you won't get very far. Be patient. Be consistent and you will eventually have nice loose leashes for walking. No special collars needed.

Totally agree with Bruno. There is NO reason to use a prong on puppies that young. There is a huge risk of damaging the esophagus, trachea, etc. Prongs are a tool, not a collar. Please find a trainer who uses positive techniques.
If you are asking about prong usage it makes me think you do not understand how they should be used. In that case you will do more harm than good. There is a risk of death if a dog gets a tooth stuck in the collar, or, god forbid, they both get caght up while playing.
You could opt for a Gentle leader or a Halti before you try a prong.

No, a prong cannot double as an all-the-time collar. The dog should wear an additional flat collar that has the tags on it.

Noah

Like everyone else said, no, take them off when not in use.

Also, the puppies are 4 months old, surely there are other methods to try before using a prong collar.

Noah answered on 6/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Prong collars are not a good idea, It will be better if you find a substitute for them. In my opinion prong collars should not be used even when a dog is undergoing training, other methods should be used in order to train a comparitively stubborn dog.

1. You don't have to take off their regular collars when using the prong collar, just make sure they're not overlapping.

2. Keep the tags on their regular collar.

3. you can leave the leash attached to the prong collar and just undo the links to remove the prong collar.

4. It is in-fact okay to use these on puppies, as it's meant to simulate the sensation of a mother dog nipping their neck (which is done to puppies from the time they're born).

5. Do not pull/drag with this type of collar. It's only meant to be quickly snapped and released very quickly yet gently. It's just a "nip," not a pull or a tug. If you pull too hard you can puncture skin. If your dog is strong and keeps pulling with it on, try to get ahold of their regular collar or their body to leverage them and audibly turn their attention to you.

6. Do not leave the collar on while they play, because if their prong collar locks up with another dog's collar during play, it can seriously injure them.

www.PetLeader.com