Question about neutering?

I just had my 13 month old Australian Shepherd neutered last week. Before that he was peeing on everything when we walked and mounting male dogs at the dog park. Today we went for a walk and he was still peeing on everything. I thought that would stop with the neutering? Does it take some time? I am not sure about the mounting because he can't go back to the park for a couple of weeks. Thanks for any advice!

Asked by Member 1124767 on May 13th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Cody

Male dogs still like to claim everything outside. They usually stop peeing on everything inside though if they did that before. It's like leaving messages for their friends, peemail if you will. The mounting is a dominance thing and may or may not disappear. I had a neutered dalmatian who was not very welcome by the humans at the dog park because he had a habit of mounting, but oddly enough the dogs didn't seem to mind. Go figure.

Cody answered on May 14th.

Answers

Though neutering may help, you need to supervise and train him too. He may still have the hormones that might deplete soon but you definitely need to stop him from making this as habit, a simple water spray to interrupt may help to discourage him from peeing on random things.

Neutering removes the dog's ability to reproduce. It is NOT a magic pill and won't stop him from peeing nor mounting... it just stops him from making babies and helps stop searching out females in heat.
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but you maybe should have done a bit more research before expecting a miracle.
PLEASE...do not spray him with water to stop his marking... it will only lead to a wet dog who is frightened of you!!!!!
For training help post over in the behavior and training forum.

Lexus

As the other poster said, it is not a magic pill that changes dogs behaviors.....also if you spray with water, you will only make him afraid of peeing....you can't just spray him for peeing outdoors, after training them to pee outdoor.....this is definitely not the way to train a dog, he will become scared of you

Lexus answered on 5/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer