Ellie

Petsmart training classes

I was wondering if anyone has taken the petsmart behavior classes and did it have a large effect on your dog?
I was also wondering if they teach good behavior while walking on a leash?
Any comments would be a help.

Asked by Ellie on Feb 1st 2008 Tagged petsmart, training, classes in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Petsmart classes are hit or miss.

There are some that have excellent trainers who are APDT certified, teach outside Petsmart, and compete withtheir personal dogs in various sports. If you find a trainer like that, Petsmart classes may work out well for you.

But, the majority of Petsmart trainers are store employees who have gone through a course on dog training. Their knowledge is not more extensive than your own if you spend some time reading and asking questions on training and behavior. In that case, I'd stay away.

Also take into account the accommodations at your Petsmart. Some have separate training areas - that's good, especially for beginner's class. Some train in the middle of the store. Not good because you'll be constantly interrupted by shoppers and their dogs and it's way to distracting for beginner's class.

Overall, their approach tends to be very "one size fits all". For example, pulling is usually addressed by selling you a head halter. Doesn't work for all dogs.

Abby answered on Feb 1st.

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Well I have a hard time with Petsmart.They do have some ebedience classes and some dogs and their people do well in their classes.Are they behaviorist-bo by far they are not behaviorist.They do a short training session in a Petsmart setting-sorta like they put their groomers through ans then tell them they are trainers.Sad for us trainers that have come through things the way it should be done!
But if this is all you have available to you then it might be okay for you.
Good luck and let us know if there are things we may help with!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Someone else said that the "trainers" who train your dog are ametuers! All they have done to learn about training is watch a 30 min. video!

Frosti

I went there once to learn about potty training, It was just okay, not bad but not great. The trainers usually care about animals but they are not very profesinal and they dont know very much (no offense to them or anything) . They dont use the best methods and since the class is in the store they are interupted by customers, the class takes place at the back of the store but people come to buy food and other pet things so it can be very confusing. If you want your dog to be taught right without a doubt i would take him to a dog school.They specialize in dogs and nothing else and they are all very good at what they do, often having "created" many champions. It might be a little more cost wise but in my opinion it is worth it.
Good luck,i am curently going to dog class's at campignon and things are working out great!

Frosti answered on 2/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They go through a short training program ( I believe it's about 3 weeks) I was going ot work there but I don't believe with the lack of ethics the company has. I personally wouldn't go there. I went to a petsmart with my lab and one of the trainers came up and started talking with me. She was not very good with Abby and seemed incredibly frustrated by her ( Abby was 6 months and wouldnt listen to what she was telling her) She told me what Abby would learn in her obedience classes and it was actually less money to go to an independant trainer who had great reviews. A week later I saw the petsmart trainer at the dog park. Her dogs were not listening to her and she could not get them to come when called ( I was pretty proud that mine did!) Try a one on one in home evaluation with a real behaviorist, they don't cost as much as you might think and the outcome is worth it! Check the yellowpages or get a recommendation from a vet or pet store( thats is'nt petsmart)

Tonka

I know some petsmart trainers and a few managers. yes, their classes are short and the training strategies are very general. If your dog has behavioral issues than PetsMart is not the place for you. If your dog needs basic socialization and basic training then it might work for you. I think PetsMart training is better than no training, and I think that it works from some dogs but they are expensive and not worth the money, in my opinion. You'd be better off going to a certified trainer, especially if your dog has behavioral issues. If you are looking for a "large" effect, then I'd avoid the PetMart training classes. :)

Tonka answered on 2/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Koda

I took Petsmart puppy classes and they were nice. I liked the trainer she was super friendly. When I got bigger I had to go to a more progressive dog school Petsmat classes were just too generic and I had to use a trainer that was more "professional". Somebody sent me the petsmartkilledmydog.com link and now we won't go there until that whole mess is taken care of.

Koda answered on 2/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Duke

It probably depends where you live. We have very few choices here and Pet Smart has been wonderful.
Duke took two classes then started becoming a little aggressive. They gave me some free trainings and are now going to be putting him through intensive advanced training. I've called around and they are as good or better than some of my other choices.

Duke answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer