Pet help?

So my guinea pig recently died and I would like to get another pet. I know this doesn't have much to do with dogs but I was just wondering if anyone out there could help me. Please no rude comments. I thought about getting another guinea pig but it seems like I might have minor allergies. I've thought about another dog but based on answers to my previous questions, that is not a good idea because I will be going to college in the next few years. A lot of people in my family are allergic to cats so that won't work. I think my grandma is allergic to birds and my mom does not want one. I have a dog at the moment that would take priority over any other pet if they were to have problems getting along. I'm not sure what kind of pet to get. Could anyone help me? Thank You so much!!! All answers are greatly appreciated!! :)

Asked by Member 1037035 on Jun 27th 2011 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Tiara

Since there is alot of problems with allergies, and you seem to like small animals have you looked into a naked rat. What I have heard from alot of people they are more loving animals then guinea pigs and they can be trained to do things. As far as the mess they are about the same as the guinea pig. I hope you get some more ideas here also.

Tiara answered on 6/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you had a guinea pig, then I would get another one. My daughter had the same circumstances. Her's died shorty before she started college. She knew she would be busy and since Guinea Pigs are social animals, she got 2. That way they have company when she is really busy. About your allergies, you can give them baths. That should keep the allergens under control. Good Luck!

Gia

Well since you are going to collage you defiantly should not get a dog, there are hairless cats, the cutest out of all of them are "Bambinos" Go to Cats 101 on animal planet and there's a video about this tiny hairless breed, they're cute!

Also, although they're not very cute, a hairless rat or mouse is also an option, A guinea pig is a good idea, too.

Or, a fish tank! You can get beautiful fish and decorate the tank with loghts, its beutiful, we have a 65 gallon and everyone loves it, it really brightens the house!

Also, a frog, or a hermit crab are good options, I have a hermit crab, all you ahve to do is provide a few extra shells becuase they grow alot, you just have to wet their sponge and give them a pinch of food every now and then and your good to go!

Whatever breed you do choose, do your homework! :) Try the animal planet 'pet pciker" quiz- it alos helped me!

Gia answered on 6/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lexie

You might want to try hermit crabs I just got one a few weeks ago very easy to take care fun to watch my loves bannans I'm fixing to get him a friend :)

Lexie answered on 6/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

Rats are awesome if they don't trigger your allergies - smart, social, learn to recognize you by scent, you can handle them and carry them around on your shoulder, and can even be taught simple tricks. But test it out first, they have similar hair to guinea pigs. I had pet rats in high school, they were a lot of fun. They were like a cross between a dog and a monkey, but required less attention than either of those. I had two females together, they liked being social. Do not put males and females together (it is very easy to differentiate male from female) - they will breed. Life span = 2-4 years.

Hermit crabs are fun but can be high maintenance. Alternatives include Madagascar hissing cockroaches or a tarantula (assuming the adults in your family will approve). Merlin the hissing cockroach (RIP) and Charlotte the tarantula are fascinating to kids and adults in my neighborhood.

Good Luck!

Zack answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer