Paco

Paco's dew claw fell off?

He is walking normally and seems to have no pain, also didn't bleed just got a small cut. Should I take him to the vet anyway? I also got really confused when I saw his dew claws when I got him because he is very small and I thought only big breeds had them?

Asked by Paco on May 31st 2013 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

All dogs have dew claws, unless a breeder has them removed. He may have gotten it caught in something and ripped it off. That happens to some dogs. If it was my dog, I would have a vet check it out just to be sure the injury wasn't worse than it looks. Good Luck!

Nope, all dogs do not have dew claws... actually, very few breeds...Paco is right, mostly large breeds, have them on the rear.
Labs NEVER have them, as well as many, many other breeds. Poodles do very rarely, and they are removed at birth if present. Same with GSD's...rarely they will be born with them but again, they are removed at birth. Other breeds require them per the breed standard...St. Bernards and Great Pyrenees, along with some others, must have them to be shown.
Paco, I am pretty sure all Tibetan's do have rear dews... although many are removed at birth, along with the front ones as well.

Molly

Molls had the same problem. The first time we took her to the vet and had them cut. A couple of months later, it was ingrown and the vet assistant told us to have her sedated so she could undergo surgery to have them removed. The actual trusted vet said not to. She chased a cat and it fell off. Now she's fine. So, unless it looks infected, don't think anything about it. Even if he has to go to the vet, do not trust your vet's assistant. You need a professional.

Molly answered on 6/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Benjamin

When any injury like this occurs it is always best to have it looked at by a veterinarian to rule out and or prevent infection and further irritation. If you do notice that he is licking or chewing at the wound you should prevent this using a cone collar or other preventative measure. If he is painful he may also benefit from some pain control, which a vet can provide. Some dogs have dew claws while other don't depending on breed, genetics, and if they were removed soon after birth.

Benjamin answered on 6/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mika

A lot of dog breeds have dew claws, both big and small, some breeders remove them, some dont.

Mika lost her dew claw once, I had the vet take a look just to be safe, but it was no biggie, it was not bleeding or anything like that, of course I imagine it may have been sore for a few days but she didn't seem to mind. It is best to make sure while you clip their nails to keep the dew claws clipped as well, that way they have less of a chance to get snagged on something and fall off.

Mika answered on 6/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer