Monty

New flea medication, Help?

I just got my dog some flea medication, its the type of medication you apply from the neck to the shoulderblades, and I wanted to know if i should take him a bath first, or do i put the medication on then a bath, also whats an easy way to put the medication on without him struggling. Please and thank you.

Asked by Monty on May 12th 2012 Tagged fleamedicationticksgroominghelpdog in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Bathe first. If you put the medication on first, you'd have to wait a few days for the bath. Unless the box says it's waterproof.

Just have somebody hold him still, and apply the medication. Or sit down and hold him between your knees.

In most brands, you should not apply until AT LEAST 24 hours after a bath since these products work by traveling along skin oils. There is also a certain amount of time after applying before you should bathe your pet, usually several days or so, depending on the brand/type.
Definitely read the directions carefully, especially if you are using an OTC product and not something purchased from your veterinarian. I would even google the brand you bought, making sure there are not an above average number of serious reactions.
Some of these products do not have good track records when it comes to safety.