Mucus covering stool when

While I'm sure that this topic has been covered several times I wanted to reask the question in a different manner.

I have an 8 year old boxer/pitbull mix that has had several issues with diarrhea and mucusy stool. I suspect that this has some link to colitis or a lack of good bacteria in the digestive track.

Because of all these problems I have in the past week switched completely to raw feeding. Ground RMBs , lean muscle meats and organs. Also 10% veggies and fruit. I've done ALOT of research and feel this is the best balanced diet I can provide for her.

My question to the forum is can anyone provide me advice about when I should be concerned about mucus and or minimal blood in the stool and how it relates to colitis and pancreatitis. I have yet to get or find a straight answer on this topic. Most people say just wait it will clear up. But for how long? And if in fact this is a sign of digestive stress, how will I know that it's getting better.

Thanks for the help everyone

Asked by Member 1157902 on Mar 4th 2013 Tagged mucuswithstool, colitis in Homemade Food

Answers

There's a raw forum, and that would be a great way to handle this issue. The gooey stool can be digestive irritation. I'd take him to the vet, particularly if you're concerned about colitis or pancreatitis. My dog had this issue--diarrhea with mucousy stool, horrifying gas, stomach pain as evidenced by whining--after heartworm treatment (she was a stray dog until I adopted her), and I had to give her bland food (rice and cooked, unseasoned ground beef), Pepcid and Immodium as needed to get it under control. It resolved, but it took a solid week of bland food, then another week to slowly incorporate her regular food. We don't do raw, just lamb & rice kibble.

Sandy

The raw forum on this site will be more helpful, type raw forum into the search box, I feed raw and had these mucous poops for a week I use a probiotic that helps with stool. Mucous in poop could also mean parasites or a food absorption problem, but I would try probiotics before going to the regular vet because they usually aren't fans of raw. Or look for a holistic vet that supports raw in your area. Sandy, my Italian greyhound use to go to the vet 2 times a month at least before I switched him to raw and then when I went to the vet for vaccines he was like we haven't seen u in a while. I told him sandy was eating raw and he tried to convince me it was bad. I laughed out loud and said r u kidding? He hasn't been sick in months. I think the vet was missing my $400 a month from kibble!!

Sandy answered on 3/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer