more info

The service dog only has to be on leash on private property if the owner of the private property wants the dog on leash. I took the time to ask everyone if they wanted Jethro on leash, they all said no. This includes the local mall, the local 24 Hour fitness, the grocery store, the bars, the restaurants and everywhere else I go. These people seem to be intelligent and have open minds. My question is why are the only people that want my dog on leash over zealous public servants on a power trip? Because of what I did in the military I can tell you public servants that behave like this do much more damage to this Country than my dog ever will. My question remains why do well trained dogs have to be on leash?

Asked by Member 1119496 on May 8th 2013 in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

I would tend to think that since they don't know your dog, their just following the rules and making sure nothing happens. There are people who say their dog is a "service dog" when in fact it is not. So, with that said, there's no way for the public service people to know whether your dog is a real service dog or not and whether he is well trained or not. If, by chance, something bad was to happen (not just with your dog, but anyone's dog) they would be one of the responsible parties since they didn't enforce the leash law or rule in the area where they work. I would just find places to take your dog where he is more accepted and be done with it. People are prejudice against my dogs because of their size. I just don't go to those places. Good Luck and I hope my explanation helps.

Service dogs are not exempt from leash laws. Look up the laws in your specific town or county to see what they are as they vary by area.

Sabi

You keep asking the same question and complaining about people doing their jobs. What's your problem? Keep your dog on a leash as is required by law and stop being a jerk. No dog is perfect and I don't care who you are you cannot guarantee the behavior and reactions of another living thing.

Sabi answered on 5/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer