Kong Stuffing question

My puppy is a chewer and pretty small - 4 lbs. If I stuffed her puppy kong with peanut butter it would be way too much for her I think. If I fed her her kibble in it it would fall out the bigger end hole of the kong. I am hoping the kong will help curb her nipping and chewing. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 1072540 on Jan 4th 2012 in Puppies

Answers

Kibble with peanut butter near the entrance?
Kong can help with chewing since it's commonly used as a boredom buster, but make sure she also has other toys. As far as nipping, this needs to be corrected by you. In young puppies nipping is usually play. "Yelp" when she nips, and refuse to play unless she plays nice.

I stuffed my pup's kong with his kibble that I have moistened slightly and then sealed the outside with pb and then froze it in the freezer for the next day. I got him a few kongs so he can eat out of one while the others are freezing. Other options include melting little bits of cheese, cream cheese, bits of meats, honey, or just jamming a treat big to plug the hole. As for nipping you need to teach her that by yelping and ignoring her for a second to "lick your wounds" and then go back to playing with her happily. Repeat, repeat, repeat.